THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: High Scream & Death Metal Grit Crits Plz

Christopher_JC
Lots of people (including big name stars) think they are screaming/singing right--even for years--and then 'all of a sudden' they start having major problems, ie getting nodules. This is especially true when they get this mindset that they are going to start 'taking it to the next level'.

If you're not having problems don't worry. If you are having small problems that are growing then something is probably wrong with the technique.

There's no other advice beyond that.

well, I think if the singer wants screaming take in the higher level he must train, and not go for pushing harder above the limit, this can cause problems in long term. But as long I do warmup and warmdown, I do screams according to my comfort zone, if my voice starts to wear, I know when it´s enough. I happen to experience the oppositte of what I experienced in past. In like two month ago, I couldnt sing properly with full clean voice after grit/ screaming excercise. another words said I could sing but with restricted voice, now surprisingly what happens during session is I do the same or even higher amount of screams in less time, my voice gets cleaner and fuller in the middle of session, I start on heights and then I sing with clean voice or raspy with no hardship at all. this is a good sign. It seems like screams clear out the mucus left behind after nasal flushes and post nasal drip that bothers me in morning and after almost each meal. I found something interesting I feel making very slow transition into another kind of scream (false cord scream) There are actually 4 types of screams, fry scream, false cord scream, death scream, and "the rock scream" (for example Bulletboys, Sebastian Bach in younger age) what teaches Jaime, in his low grit/mid/high scream excercises. the big issue for me is the proper transiton because I want to develop softer kind of scream that allows perfect transition between 100% clean and 100% gritty/raspy. I also plan to work hard on clean voice and power soon in a couple of weeks before hitting the studio.