THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Broken Register #BrokenRegister

I seem to have a problem mid-range and I am not sure what caused it. Around the time I gained a lot of weight (which I have since lost), I noticed a problem with my voice. As I said, I lost the weight, but the problem still persists. I can give you an example of what I mean: I can only do the sliding exercise going from high to low, I run into a problem going from low to high in the mid-range. Because of this, I have a tendency to sing songs either an octave higher or lower than they actually are. I am really stumped at what caused this problem and have no idea how to fix. Any suggestions?

To clarify, I think the problem is with one or two notes that I get stuck on during the sliding exercise from low to high (when I reach those notes, my voice just goes out and I have to skip those notes to continue the exercise sliding from low to high), I have no problem with the rest of the range. So I am unable to hit one or two notes during the low to high sliding exercise but I am able to hit those notes going in the high to low sliding exercise. It just seems odd to me and I am wondering if it is a muscular problem with the vocal chords. Again, I am open to any suggestions people have.

Also, I noticed my range has shrunk since this problem started. I used to be able to hit D#2 and go into falsetto somewhere around E4 or F4, now I seem to go into falsetto sooner and can't reach some of the notes I reached before. I also even can't hit the D#2 anymore and actually have a little trouble with E2 but am able to hit it. Again, thanks for any help you can give.

Re: Broken Register #BrokenRegister

It sounds like your voice is just out of shape and you have to retrain it.

Getting fat just messes with diaphragm breathing, not your vocal chords.

Re: Broken Register #BrokenRegister

The two or three notes where you notice the break in the transition area between head voice and chest that we call mix voice. The larynx must adjust itself to mix trebble and bass. When you practice the slides, be mindful of letting go and purposefully relaxing your jaw (feel it relax around your wisdom tech) to allow it to go where it wants to naturally. decreasing your volume in the begging as you approach these notes might help.

Val
www.voiceyourselfsinginglessons.com