THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Caffeine Negatively Affects Vocal Health?

I don't avoid it to be completely honest. It's the same with dairy products. But I don't get too affected by caffeine because I drink a lot of water on top of it to help re-lubricate the cords so I don't have to worry about them becoming too dry.

I noticed that the days I drink coffee my voice is gone by the evening... I feel hoarse, and have to clear throat often. Same the next morning. But I think I have a problem with acid reflux, and coffee makes it worse, so not sure if coffee will have the same effect on someone without the reflux... I also feel dehydrated throughout the day, so have to drink lots and lots of water, and as a result pee A LOT.

Everyone is different. YES, it is a diuretic and stimulant, so it can dry you out and stimulate the nervous system. You have to figure out how much caffeine is too much for you.

JV

Hey does anyone here know if caffeine free sodas are better for a singer?

Jeff
Hey does anyone here know if caffeine free sodas are better for a singer?

That stuff is all horrible for you really.

IF, I am drinking alcohol, I will drink a mixed drink that is mixed with coke, but normally I'll drink Jagermeister.

Otherwise, I steer clear of soft drinks for the most part. You see this? That is my family's soft drinks, and my water supply. LOL I drink one of these flats of bottled water about every two days. They all gripe that I buy so much bottled water, and I tell them,"At least I'm not buying canned poison."
LOL

Thank You Costco for having 35-packs of Zepherhills Spring water!

But here was what I wanted to say.
I was a really heavy coffee drinker. I mean, for YEARS. like no water at all - I drank coffee all day. We're talking pots of coffee.

I began mixing my coffee a scoop of regular and a scoop of decaf when I started making it, and I noticed a MAJOR difference in my voice, and I began being able to hit high notes that I was unable to hit before, and I mean... like in a few days.

So, my advice is cut your caffeine intake down to where it doesn't affect your voice, and just drink water. Old habits die hard - I tried eliminating the coffee in the morning, but I am just a complete grouch without it - It can even just be decaf. It is just the act of drinking coffee... it is part of my morning ritual and I have done it so long, that if I don't drink it, my day doesn't seem to start off right. So these days I am just drinking decaf... but I always pound out a bottle of water before my feet even hit the floor.
Your throat will thank you, and so will your kidneys and bladder. LOL

I don\'t avoid it, but drink (and sell) a healthy coffee infused with ganoderma lucidum. Jaime mentions gandoderma in RYV in the herbal chapter. The ganoderma neutralizes the acidic effects of coffee. No more acid reflux, constricted vocal cords, indigestion, or dry vocal cords. It\'s actually part of my post singing regimen after church. The brand I drink (and sell) is Organo Gold. The ganoderma is 100% organic certified. For more info visit http://pfernando.myorganogold.com. My contact info is at the top of the site, so feel free to contact me w/ ?\'s. I\'m very glad that I didn\'t have to give up \"my precious\" coffee! :) Gollum, Gollum, Gollum!!!

If you only have one coffee in the morning it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I love a warm drink to start the day but I alternate with tea, and herbal coffee. Compensate by drinking lots of water after. Don't drink coffee right before singing that's all!

Val
www.voiceyourselfsinginglessons.com