THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Grit Problem!

Hi Fulden, I know what you´are going through. I had same problem, the way I did break through the gritty sound in palate was starting with light falsetto. your voice will crackle a bit a tiny bit, but those mini rumbling sensations will sum up and once it´s going to be enough you get the sound that you want, in my experience, after 10 sessions I accidently drink cod liver oil, and that brought my cords more together (you should never drink it when you want to sing because it puts a lot of mucus in throat) I was able to make the sound I wanted, and since then it´s getting better. Grit is something that it´s not easily built. look up other threads about grit and learn how to solve your problem. i did it and knew what to do.

Yes, i checked some of the previous messages about grit but it seems that everybody got the feeling of the soft palate right, their problems were about something else. I can make the grit sound by tightening the cords but it just doesnt feel right (also Jaime says FOCUS ON THE PALATE all the time), dont know maybe im doing right, how can you exactly understand that you feel the soft palate?

Vocal fry is more about relaxation - which you got. You don't feel vocal fry in the palate, you're not meant to.

The Chewbacca sound I also had difficulty with. Pretend you have a hair that's tickling you right where your "speed bag" is on the back of your palate. Make crazy Jewish/Middle Eastern noises - or like you're trying to imitate a dog growling - with the sensation focused right there. Feel how it shakes your palate and beats your speed bag like a boxer, keep feeling that, but now also feel the speed of the vibration and how you have your larynx "tucked up" to make the noise. Work on relaxing the larynx back down and slowing the vibration. Then add actual vocalization and VIOLA!!!

If you still have trouble work the sound backwards, try making it in the front of your mouth, and moving it backwards to the back of the palate, don't grind your throat or make the sound IN your throat. It's something that takes a bit of time - honestly gargling with water then reducing the water till you're doing it with your spit, then doing it dry is another SUPER easy way to get it.

I also found I had a specific note it was easier to do it on, and I expanded in both directions with that as my staring point.

Another way to think of grit is... like resonances clashing. If you drop 2 stones in water the ripples collide and distort the water. Although it sounds very abrasive, it's really not, it's just the perception of the sound.

Grit has more to do with the inhalation sensation and then digging into the sound without stricturing the throat. so really work that. Using the least amount of air to create the tone and then leaning more into the sound. THis is what glottal compression is all about and will give you that heavy sound OVER TIME AS IT SEASONS. Don't bite off more than you can chew. Since there is very little air passing over the cord it is safe so long as it doesn't hurt you, and make sure you are always feeling it in the soft palate. Really it's all in the book.

Good Singing to you,
Phil Moufarrege
http://www.Grow-The-Voice.com

Thanks a lot for your replies :)