THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Week 4 Covers :-)

Thanks Henry!
I've seen the headphones type as well. I've thought of getting the Acoustic Vocal Monitor for band practice, but when I'm jamming by myself I can hear me just fine... no, sadly I can't blame it on my hearing, it's all still working out the bugs in my technique :-)

Hi diane, well done, keep it up girl, that's one of my Skid Row's favorites songs of all time, here is a tip that I use for myself to attack high notes, and my trick is NOT to think on them; So when I arrive to the part of the song with those hig notes I just don't think on them, I just go for them.

Im gonna make myself clear, sometimes we start thinking on those high notes before we have to arrive them, it's like, **** here we go... oh no, i have to sing this high note now after this phrase, or sometimes is like, oh, ok here it comes, it comes, im ready, o no, im not.. yes, no, yes, maybe, oh ok oh.. waaaaaaaaa!!! (well at least for me)and those little instants of doubt get us out of focusing on hit those notes, so is better no to think on them and just sing, sounds weird; How I gonna sing a note without thinking on it? well, its like, instead of thinking in just one high note, I personally think in all the phrase or part of the song with all the notes including the highest ones or the larger, and go for them...
Im not talking about insecurity or lack of confidence, cause is not, its just a little moment of doubt that can get us out of focus. if I don't think on the highest or lowest and larger notes, i can focusing myself on the power of my voice to cover them, well Diane, it works for me, I hope it'll works for you as well, and well it's just a little tip.

Once again, well done and keep it up!! rock to you.

P.D hey I give you a link of one of my covers, its a metal song with high notes and some large ones so you can see what im talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcMd2kkihJQ

Once again, txs for share!cheers ;)

Marco

Thanks guys!
I've noticed that every time I change vocal programs and am learning a new technique I go through this "awkward period" while everything is adjusting. I'm hoping once I keep working on this technique - which I am loving so far - I can get back some of the things I've lost in the transition. I feel that I've lost strength in some areas, and.... I lost my grit (/cry) BUT I know I'll get it all back, it's just a period of adjustment. I knew my positioning before, so I knew how to manipulate it... this is kind of like wearing some one else's panties... sure they're comfortable, but I haven't broken them in yet and made them mine LMAO. Once I get readjusted I shouldn't go flat anymore, which truth be told was always one of my issues. I tend to bring a little more chest resonance in than I should and that makes it flat... I guess I'm an oddity, a female that uses too much chest resonance LOL. Been working on that ALOT. I sometimes drop my vocal positioning too to overcompensate for a mistake I haven't even made yet where as if I had just STAYED PUT I'd have been fine.

I try to add songs to my workout that expose my weaknesses so I can watch/listen back and see/hear what I'm doing wrong before, during and after so I can correct it.

Marco - I've learned over the years to TRY not to anticipate high notes... TRY being the operative term LOL. Thought causes unintentional vocal tension. I too don't think of high notes as being "high" I think of them as being "farther away".. if that makes any sense. On that particular song it's not the note I anticipate but the "How many counts does it get held, and the transition/widening is at what point? WAIT... dammit I forgot to take a breath.... well, now I'm out of air... CRAP!!" If you knew how many times I've properly prepared for it then missed the length... you'd laugh. I've had ones where I stopped shorter than that take... and others where I'm still holding it out pre transition when the music pops back in and I'm supposed to be saying "room" LMAO - OH the trial and tribulations of vocalists. Really glad I added these songs to my workout the other day!!

I went to your link AWESOME job! I gave ya a Like.

I make it a point to know my flaws - because "Knowing is half the battle - G.I. JOE!!"

It's all a process and I LOVE being able to share the process with like minds!