THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: is it a silent kind of laryngitis?

Steam bath for the vocal apparatus I can agree with, but not an intentional OD of any supplements. The high you might feel from something like that is a result of a toxic neurochemical imbalance, similar to overhydration i.e. water intoxication. I also have no idea what potential damage that could do to your body's natural filters, the liver and kidneys.

Personally, the furthest I'd go is to take a niacin (vitamin B3) supplement and drink a cup of water every 20 minutes until your skin feels hot and itchy and it looks like you're peeing tap water, then stop the niacin and continue drinking water at the same rate it leaves your system (roughly 16 oz. per full bladder, additional for bowel movements). Niacin is pretty widely used for system detox, especially by athletes after accumulating a buildup of metabolic byproducts from overexertion.

You may also want to follow each glass of water with a tablespoon of honey to coat and soothe strained tissue in your throat - just squirt it in your mouth, if you want, and slowly and gingerly swallow it as your saliva thins it down.

You could also try doing some low fry and soft falsetto exercises to loosen up your chords while breathing in that shower steam. I find these help relieve muscle tension around my trachea and pharynx and encourage freer movement of the vocal folds and surrounding tissues. Do NOT attempt full-voice practice until all your relaxed, low-volume exercises feel smooth and unstrained.

I hope these ideas help, let us all know what does/doesn't work for you!

Guys big thanks for advice! meantime my voice returned to normal, or have seemed to return. but couple days ago I discovered another problem. I weight only slightly over 60 kilograms and drink approximately 3,5- 4 liters of watter (together with herbal tea) everyday sometimes I guess 5 liters. Sometimes I drink like 2 liters in 3 hours before my workout and don´t pee really that much after workout when I go to bad. (maybe I breath out a lot of watter from lungs during workout) But couple days ago after such workout I woke up with headache and pain right inside my eyes. Then I got onto internet and read about a danger of idiopathic intracranial hypertension and I got scared like a hedgehogg. i don´t know how much watter is permissible in my case. I spent at least 45 minutes during workout, it takes really a lot of time to go all the way up. don´t you have any ideas about how much watter I breath out during that time.

OK, yesterday night and today I realized that my voice have not still returned to normal, also winter has come and the temperature went drastically down to freezing zero. I´m able to hit high notes, but it seems that I just can´t make it go up to soft palet fully. the tone seems to stay locked in throat and it´s not fully open like usually. I will try dose myself with vitamin C, will see what that does. Also I have to deal with much stress for the next 2 months as long as my exams are coming up soon.