THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help: Singing and microphone technique

Hello!

I have a question considering about my singing and microphone technique.

I’ve noticed that after my band rehearsals my belly muscles are tired. And I’ve noticed that every time when I sing some heavier songs (ex. I surrender by Rainbow and All My Life by Foo Fighters, Holy Diver by Dio), I tense up my belly rock hard after I have taken some air in.. And that leads that I can’t reach even those “easier” high notes for me. And also it feels like those lower notes are quieter when I sing in a mic.
And if I am singing high notes I tend to little bit yell. This occurs only then when I’m singing through microphone. But at home I feel like I can sing almost anything easily without yelling or pushing etc. And I take just right enough air in what I need. I understand that I have to practice more singing but could it be also that I have a wrong kind of microphone (or microphone technique).

We have changed some songs in lower keys that I can sing those easily, but sometimes feels like after done that it gets harder to sing some songs.. aargh.. I need help!! ;)

Hopefully somebody can help me!

Re: Help: Singing and microphone technique

Someone? Help me to get in to the right track!

If you're truly not straining ever at home. Make sure you are wearing earplugs at rehearsals so you hear your sound in your head clearly and actively don't sing as loud. If you need to keep singing louder to get over the band, turn your voice up on the PA. If you still need to, tell the guys the instruments need to go down. If the drums are too loud relatively for you guys to enjoy it, go to another rehearsal studio.

Also, practice your set of songs you do at rehearsals as you would at rehearsals when at home... more than once. Get the match fitness as that's the only thing that will help. You will need to be able to sing 110% over your rehearsals difficulty at home to match it as rehearsals are always harder and also 120% at least at home for you to be able to deliver live in the way that it needs to be done. Any less and you are getting by on the skin of your teeth. This is unacceptable.

Dougie

Thanks Dougie! :)

I can hear myself really good in rehearsals, because we all have nice low volume in our amps and drummer plays with electric drums.. :) And that's why I don't feel to need those earplugs, but I have to try it out anyway! :)

I know that practicing home isn't the quite same as in band rehearsals, but I'm surprised that why this singing turns to be so diffucult. Am I too much thinking about technique when I'm singing or what.. :/

Also I've been considering that I have wrong kind of microphone. Now I have AKG D 770 Microphone. Have you guys any opinion about that microphone? And any tips how for microphone techinque? :)

One thing I've been noticed also is when I start practicing singing more seriously, it began to be more difficult thing to do than before.. I don't know.. Maybe I have to deal with my head and brains first or something.. :D

If you can hear yourself fine in rehearsals, what's different to home for you? Are you practising whole songs and sets at home at the same volume? Microphone technique seems secondary at the moment for you.

If it was easier and now harder and you have the same workload of songs and not just 1 song here or there, I'd think to what technique change you have made. It should get always easier with time. Make sure you are thoroughly warmed up for rehearsals and once again ear plugs are handy for self monitoring.