THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Query about when to switch to lighter/head voice

maybe the problem is you try to pull chest?
Did you read the RYV section where Jaime talks about vocal folds zipping (which is equivalent to thyroid tilt / mixed voice...)?
A way to control this "zipping" is to add a little "crying" sound when approching the break (E4).

Good idea seventhson! I'll try that as well. Best of luck to you as well Ameet.

Good reply. ALSO, do NOT the Bullfrog position! It will lead to strain

If doing a Bullfrog while vocalizing would lead to strain, then how can I keep my larynx stable? I've been doing bullfrogs for around a week now, more than fifty a day. Thank you for calling that out though Jaime.

Try waiting until, you are doing 500 a day for at least a month, then you won't need to ask this question;) A week isn't enough time. It's like saying, 'I've been doing sit-ups for a week and I still don't have six-pack abs.' So, keep working;)

The main reason I asked that question is because I ended up straining at around G5. I might stair step in the meantime.

andree
If doing a Bullfrog while vocalizing would lead to strain, then how can I keep my larynx stable? I've been doing bullfrogs for around a week now, more than fifty a day. Thank you for calling that out though Jaime.

Start doing them, just like Jaime said - you haven't done enough to build the muscles to lower the larynx. Ideally you need to learn to fully control it so you can raise it, lower it, etc..

I can literally drop mine down so low it seems to disappear into my chest.

After, however many years Jaime has had me doing these? probably since 2004, maybe? It's been a long time. I still do them on a daily basis.

Also, make sure that you do the vocal stress relief, otherwise - you are only hurting yourself. You want o make sure t5hat you remove all the tension in your neck and throat. It makes a MAJOR difference.

Tim

You got it a bit wrong. Head voice doesn't mean weak voice. It's just a place of resonance not a description of timbre.

And to be honest if you do everything correctly the voice will naturally tend to transition to head voice as you ascend. Without any sudden change in tone.
When done correctly head voice feels like an effortless extension of your chest voice.

Stick to the transcending tone and the sirens Jaime describes. The first one is very beneficial as you start on a light falsetto note and then you thicken it. The falsetto helps you to free your throat from any constrictions and promotes correct placement and open throat.

Of course when you start out the feeling of a FULL head voice is completely alien. It's easy to get trapped in a loud but "heady" and light head voice.

In my opinion I wouldn't give much attention to the larynx itself. I'd focus more on your desired tone and the feelings at your throat. The larynx will then automatically find the right place.