THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ideal gym routine for a singer?

Well i am finally getting back to the gym. I am a fair bit overweight and unfit but i am determined to get my health and fitness back.

Vocally i am doing well practicing 1-3 hours a day, but i need to get my body in shape, which will only benefit my voice too.

I have not been to the gym in a while so i am looking for some routine suggestions. I am aiming to do 5-6 days a week 30mins to an hour each session.

Any suggestions of workouts i should do that will be the most beneficial to my voice?
I plan to do cardio (cross trainer,rowing and bike) but as for weights and other exercises i would love suggestions.

Jaime has been posting his workouts on facebook and i have been inspired to get some kind of routine going that will help me as a singer long term.

Would appreciate any suggestions.

Luke

Re: Ideal gym routine for a singer?

I'm NOT a Personal Trainer but I used to be a power lifter.
I just started lifting again and here is what I am doing for the first 4 weeks.

Start with a moderate weight.
100 dumbbell flyes for your chest
100 cable pulldowns for your back.

Warm up with 20 to 40 reps at a lower weight.

Keep in mind, you are going to be doing this 6 days a week.

People think the Bench Press is the be-all and end-all of chest exercises, but in all honesty, flyes are the best for developing the chest. Why? Your Pectoral muscles are for a grabbing/hugging motion, not for pushing away like the Bench Press.

You do this routine for 3 weeks and take the 4th week off. Then you follow it again for 3 more weeks, and take the 4th week off. Each week you add a little more weight.

If you bench press 150lbs 30 times (3 sets of 10 reps) that is a total of 4,500lbs. lifted for that exercise that day. If you do flyes with 35lbs in each hand (70lbs.) for 100 lifts, that is a total of 7,000lbs. lifted for that exercise for that day.

This will pack some muscle on quite quickly, but DIET is very important.
You're better off working with moderate weight, make sure that you control the weight, not the other way around.

This routine was designed by a Personal Trainer who is a physical therapist. Initially it started out being 50 Chin ups and 100 pushups, but was modified to by bodybuilders to use weights instead of just body weight.

After those first 6 weeks, then you switch to Bench Press which brings in triceps, and front deltoids to some degree.

Instead of sit-ups, crunches, or morning glories, you plank for 5 to 10 minutes every day. This will build your core up. Get on your elbow's and toes like a pushup type position - hold your body in that position and tighten up all your muscles. Hold it as long as you can. Do that every day.

if you want to take the body fat off, eat a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet (CKD, the Cyclical Ketogenic Diet). Read up on CKD.
You need to eat enough protein to make sure your body is not cannibalizing your muscles and internal organs for a source of protein, so generally 1 gram per pound.

Eggs are your best source of protein because they have cholesterol. Testosterone is made from dietary cholesterol. Blood cholesterol levels - the kind doctors worry about - has nothing to do with dietary cholesterol. Your body can have a high blood cholesterol level, without even ingesting dietary cholesterol. That has been proven and documented over and over again.

Tim

Great i will include most of that. I doubt i could bench 150lb that easily currently.
I am looking to tone first...lots of toning to be done before i go for mass. I am naturally wide shouldered and building mass is not hard for me.
It is the excess (wayyy too much) fat and lack of fitness that is the problem

Luke K
Great i will include most of that. I doubt i could bench 150lb that easily currently.
I am looking to tone first...lots of toning to be done before i go for mass. I am naturally wide shouldered and building mass is not hard for me.
It is the excess (wayyy too much) fat and lack of fitness that is the problem

I know what you mean. The average man is 18" wide at the shoulders, and I am 21" wide at the shoulders. Forget the whole "toning up" concept, my experience is that whole concept is a misnomer... you are either adding muscle or you aren't. (For me, I ether lift and add muscle, or I don't lift and I get fat, I'm the ultimate Endomorph.)

Tim

Not sure if i have linked this right but what do you think of these concepts tim??

Toning is basically working out/stretching with light resistance.

If toning worked than fat people would get skinny instead of being able to do the splits.

When you see someone with a 'toned' body they are either naturally lean or doing light work outs with weak resistances.

Girls often use 1-2lb weights when they want to get 'toned'.

A girl can look 'buff' with only 10lb arm weights.

Muscles burns calories, but there also slow/long cardio like walking on an incline (you can set the treadmill for this) or isometric type excersise (like yoga or more western with bands).

Chances are if you are fat and don't eat a ton you might actually have a virus or bacteria in your guts--and it can even be resistant to antibiotics.

This could also explain why you don't inherit fat genes, but instead fat inducing bacteria from you mother's gut or how she prepares food (apparently you need to put bleach in all your meat and cutting boards).

Just look up "gut bacteria obesity" in Google.

I mean ixquick--google is garbage now :P