THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Trying some LaBrie goodness

Heck yeah. There is nothing in the world ever going to outdo early Fates. Awaken the Guardian is the greatest album ever written and even after all these years it's still my favorite. And John Arch is still my favorite singer, still as sharp even tho he's edging closer to 60 years old.

About three years ago I would have replied exactly as you did. Dream Theater is one of those bands that grew on me over time. I would hear them and wonder why everyone around me was freaking out about them, mostly influenced by my brother and my drummer. But over time I started liking them more and more until they are one of my favorite bands now. A lot of progressive metal was like that to me. Redemption and Opeth are other examples. I actually hated both of those bands and now they are both in my top 5.

But having said that I do have one question that I would ask LaBrie. How on earth does he avoid missing his q's to return to the stage? I mean there are sections in most of the songs where the band goes off on a musical jam for sometimes minutes where there are no vocals. I would totally miss my q's to come back. It would be time for me to come back and I'd be all wrapped up in a crossword or something. lol.

Re: Trying some LaBrie goodness

"one of his easier songs"? I think ITNOG is a tough one and the very James struggles at the end of Live at Budokan with it. With this said, I think you did an excellent job! You sang it your own way, with your own singing style, and that's the challenge. Keep on working it, man, you're doing great!