THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Feeling great

Hi everyone from Spain!

I've just finished my little rehearsal (during which I sang several songs playing the guitar) and this is the time I've felt better than any other one. Now I'm very excited and happy about what I've been able to do with my voice, my body is now full of energy (endorphines maybe), and I've decided to post a message here to thank Jaime for his book and to encourage everybody to keep on practising.

There is still a lot to do, but my range and resonance are improving almost every day. I even start to understand support and feeling (more than consciously applying it).

I'd like to share a fre ideas from my experiencie if someone finds it useful:
- I've been singing for year with no understanding of the vocal mechanism, just singing.
- In the last three years I've read a lot about technique and I've found 'Vocal Release' (by Eric Frey) and, specially, 'Raise Your Voice v. 2' the most useful books.
- I have to admit I'm too lazy because I don't have a true exercise program, but I do my warm ups and try to apply placement and support. When I find a note difficult to reach in full voice, I practise trascending tone on it a few times.
- The most useful techniques for me are:
* The "voice triangle" and core of resonance visualizations
* The placement on the soft palate (easier to understand than the mask placement explained in other books, which leads me to a wrong vocal onset)
* Beign aware of any sign of tension in my neck; if it appears, I try to approach that note in a different way: more support, more focus on the core of resonance visualization, etc.
* But always applying it to actual singing because it's the only way I've found to do some consistent work without getting bore too soon.

As a sugggestion for someone willing to do it, I think a book on singing for people currently singing intuitively would be very useful for them. I would have loved such a book telling me exactly how to do the transition from pushing, muscular singing to neck-relaxed singing. For instance, when I read on many books how the vocal system works when singing I miss an explanation on what is exactly happening when singing with force; for example a picture on what happens in the larynx muscles when singing high notes with strain and an explanation about at first they are easier to reach that way.

I think such a book would make people like me understand vocal technique in a shorter time.

Greetings.

Re: Feeling great

Oh!, I forgot! What has started giving me the ability to understand and put into practise subtle aspects like support and placement is doing the Vocal Stress Release (or just some parts of it), which gives my body a lot of freedom.

Re: Feeling great

Thanks, Pedro:) make sure you watch all the member's videos. We talk about strain in many sections. Don't really need a separate book as it's all in the videos;)

JV