THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Transcending Tone Sensations

Not really sure. Could you shoot me a recording to my email?
phil.moufarrege@gmail.com

Blessings,

Phil Moufarrege

http://www.grow-the-voice.com
http://www.youtube.com/philmoufarrege

Nick you are NOT aiming for a "mixed voice". You are aiming to go from falsetto to full voice, period. Yes the mix occurs in between the transition as you go from one to the other, but when doing my approach to this exercise, stopping in mix will not cut it, because it defeats the purpose. We are working the muscles to the sides of the cords that actually narrow the glottis. Even proved this on a European tv show. Yes, it can be tough to do it above the G. If you just got the book, you are experiencing the "want it now" syndrome which all singers have;0 Quit worrying that you don't have it now. It will take time to develop muscle. If you want to feel what an effortless transcending tone should feel like, see if you can find a large straw, something wider than a normal straw, stick it in a bottle of water and just sing "ooo" into the straw to make the water bubble, starting in falsetto then swelling to full voice. You'll notice you can easily go from one to the other. We've just changed the focus of your voice and took away some of the strain. If you want, do your TT exercises on each pitch, once with the straw, and once without as you work in this exercise;)

If "fullvoice" is not a mix of chest and head resonance (mix) then what is it? I know you like heavy singing. Do you feel the word "mixed voice" is some SLS bridging early into a weak headvoice thing? I don't think it's this at all.

at E5 how can you be completely in Chest voice?
at E5 if you're only in your headvoice it'll sound like the falsetto slide (falsetto slide)
SO....we mix them together (fullvoice) and get a kick ass wailing metal belt sound! (siren, transcending tone)

I've heard your sirens, definitely mixed voice which is what fullvoice is Full voice is your full voice, your chest and your head all seamlessly mixed.

I can pull my chest up to about A4 but then I gotta start mixing into the headvoice. By the time i'm fully into headvoice it'll be about G5. the notes above A4 and below G5 are mixed between headvoice with some chest resonance in there (when i'm beltin) it's not pure chest (can't do chest above A4), and it's not pure headvoice (otherwise it'd sound like a weak falsetto)
If i want a softer sound, I won't pull the chest up so high to A4, i may pull it only to F4 and start mixing then and get into pure headvoice by D5 (depends what is needed for hte song) it's all volume controlled like you teach in transcending tone.

as you mention in the book, the voice thins out, this is because the chest resonance can't go up foreaver, it slowly fades out as the head voice fades in.

I know we're talking about the same thing but I think you may not like the word mixed voice?

We're just from different schools of thought I guess, Phil. I'm not that into categorizing the tones. To me, the mixed voice is a blend voice of falsetto and full voice, at least that's what I understand from Brett Manning and Roger Love, two teachers I respect. For me, thinning out has nothing to do with blending a "head" and "chest" but lightening up as you go higher. I also see where many teachers refer to the falsetto as 'that's your head voice. Well, I think Robert Lunte summed it up best. head voice is a place, your higher register in which you can feel more resonant sensations in your head as opposed to your chest. I've heard my sirens too, haha, enough to give me a serious headache, but I don't agree with your take on me being a "mixed" sound, but that's my opinion and how I was trained. Regardless, I am not arguing, this is just my personal approach and take and even one of my own authors, James Lugo, would probably disagree with me. In the end, it doesn't matter because all this terminology has been changed so much between methodologies that very few teachers agree on what is what. But, as far as the way I teach, I have a certain approach that I plan to stick with;) Doesn't mean it is correct for everyone, but it works for my approach;)

PS- hope you don't think I am arguing or being egotistical, not at all. Love you Phil and respect your approach, I am just following what I've been taught by my coaches. Everyone has a different take and that is fine;)