THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Expanding ribs

Hey again bassbariace,

The trick is in keeping them expanded when you breathe out. This usually takes a slight downward/outward (I think?) force.

You can train with belts, ie one around your lower rib after you breathe in. If your ribs don't stay expanded it will fall down. I learned this from Alan Greene's book but Jaime also writes about it.

Here's my 2 cents:

When Jaime says "allow it to happen naturally" I believe you shouldn't stress on it too much like you are.

Rather, focus on getting your breathing DEEPER and FULLER.

The easiest way I've found to achieve this is to lie down on the floor on your back for 10 mins and just relax. some instructors will have you put a heavy book on your stomach so that it rises as you breathe, this works also.

Inhale, then hold the breath as long as you can COMFORTABLY, then exhale BEFORE tension overcomes you. Don't sacrifice relaxation to hold the breath longer.

After exhaling hold the breath until you feel the urge to inhale, DON'T IGNORE THE URGE JUST TO HOLD THE BREATH LONGER.

it's harder to get a full breath when we have residual breath locked in the lungs.

after 5 mins of this your breathing will be fantastic. The key is not to force any of it, pay attention to the tension in the body and don't try to hold more or breathe more at the expense of adding tension. Your breathing will naturally get deeper as you relax.

The long term goal is to have this type of relaxation naturally without having to lie down. Relaxation is a skill, not a place.

The reason why lying down works is because it aligns the spine correctly. I have a video on how to achieve this spinal alignment standing up which will connect the breath deep down. youtube.com/philmoufarrege

Once you get all this the expanding ribs will happen naturally as Jaime points out :P

Thanks,

Phil
www.bushido-self-improvement.com
www.youtube.com/philmoufarrege

wow phil thank you! i like your youtube channel . awesome videos. and you kinda remind me jeff buckley

My pleasure