THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Jaime Vendera - Interview with Alkis Tsapanidis!

I haven't been able to check out that Wasting Love for about a week now. Did it ever get uploaded?

Argh, yes it did... And it got deleted due to copyright infringement...

Here it is on Dropbox instead. If you have any trouble getting it from there, lemme know and I'll email it to you or upload it somewhere else.

I've noticed you doing quite a bit of jaw vibrato. There's a lot of different ways to get vibrato I'm sure you know. My opinion is that as long as you aren't abusively goaty or machine gunnin.

I generally aim or a pitch vibrato with stomach vibrato combo, which comes out pretty naturally for me but I always end up with some jaw there as well. I can pretty much completely eliminate the jaw movement if I open my mouth wider but never found it causes me any problems, so I just let it be. At least it's not like Tim Owens', his whole head moves when he does vibrato... :-P

Ah, copyright--that explains it.

I don't have anything against jaw vibrato. Sebastian Bach did it plenty and managed to look suave and badass at the same time. I think belly vibrato is probably is my least favorite because you have to be careful/limited with how you move when you're doing it. It has a lot of potential for power I think though.

So your cover is sounding good. That's Dickinson, right--the original?

I think he adds some subtle grit that brings in some edginess and tension at certain points. Other times he seems to add some breathiness to create a muted tint or overtone of some kind. It's really subtle, but I think that's the point and feeling of the song.

What do you think?

I don't have anything against jaw vibrato. Sebastian Bach did it plenty and managed to look suave and badass at the same time. I think belly vibrato is probably is my least favorite because you have to be careful/limited with how you move when you're doing it. It has a lot of potential for power I think though.

Not entirely sure what you mean by that, when I do stomach vibrato I just "will" my voice to fluctuate in volume, as well as pitch, and my belly automatically moves accordingly, it doesn't take conscious movement and I certainly don't have to be still at the time.

So your cover is sounding good. That's Dickinson, right--the original?

Yep, the original.

I think he adds some subtle grit that brings in some edginess and tension at certain points.

Absolutely, grit is quite important in Bruce Dickinson's vocal delivery.

Other times he seems to add some breathiness to create a muted tint or overtone of some kind. It's really subtle, but I think that's the point and feeling of the song.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by breathiness, he goes quite soft and changes the way he places his voice throughout the performance but could you give me an example of a bit that sounds breathy?

All these subtleties are indeed the point of the song. Without them it just sounds like a dry performance. I never got far enough into doing this song to try and interpret this stuff, either Bruce's way or my way, it doesn't even have any grit anywhere. I decided that I needed more work before my voice is ready for this song.

Hi again--how's the cover going?

I think there's breathiness in most if not every softness (I don't think breathiness has to be intrusive).

For instance, when Dickinson sometimes sings the second syllable of "Broth-ther" it sounds like he is applying breath to create more of a soft, dream-like quality.

So in this song we have softness, angsty grit, or more anger-tinged grit.

I think it's important to have fun.

Have you ever thought of like a painter, making 'mood sketches' of covers. That way you can have fun and just play with the mood and not worry about notes, timing, etc.

Sorry if that doesn't work, I'm just trying to help out--keep up the great music!