THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pain in sternum when holding out long notes?

Hi, it sounds like you're concentrating way too much on your chest--especially while in chest voice. Maybe in an effort to sound big and booming or following bad screaming?

The placement should be soft pallet and higher resonance in the head cavities (but not out nose).

I think this might cause some serious problems and soreness if you don't stop.

I blew out my voice 3 or 4 times until I finally learned the 'magic' of pallet placement when in chest. Apparently I always talked naturally down in my throat.

I'd advise to stop and maybe instead practice head voice if you're getting pain.

With the right placement I can practice for 5+ hours without pain, wake up the next day and do it again. Oh and not to brag but I can hold most notes between 5 to 20+ seconds and never had any of this weird pain you're talking about.

Maybe you're focusing too much on breathing with your chest trying to build power? I would just do breathing exercises separately and not think so much about it while singing if that's your issue.

GL with your singing and hope that helps.

Oh BTW, I was just thinking...

IF you do have pain from holding long notes properly it should be a slight soreness in your abs like you're holding a static crunch for a long time.

Thanks for the reply Christopher.

I am not really feeling a build up of pressure behind my vocal chords so I don't think it is so much the placement. I'm thinking more and more it might be something related to my posture like perhaps I'm not expanding those soft ribs on the side of my chest. It is also just towards the end of the breath where I feel the pain, I can sustain the majority of the note pain free.

The brings up another question. Should I be sustaining the notes in the falsetto and transcending tone exercises all the way until I run out of breath or just like 10-20 seconds?

Transcending tone is to learn full/mixed voice.

You can do it longer, but if you're having problems I would only do it for about 5 seconds or less. Don't do it if there is pain.

Once you learn full/mixed voice you just naturally do it when you want to switch falsetto/head voice or practice either.

==================

I think the problem is still placement. Sometimes when I'm bored laying down I'll practice a bit and it just means I can't get as high of notes or hold them nearly as long.

Like if I put my hand on my chest and concentrated hard on getting a sound down there I'm about 99% sure I can get pain and problems there. I also never think about 'expanding the ribs', I just stick my arms out to the sides a little and let my belly inflate.

I think 'expanding the ribs' is probably making you concentrate too much on your chest when the diaphragm muscles and lower ribs are down by the belly.

Is it PAIN or Discomfort?

If you allow the Lungs to collapse while keeping the lower Floating Ribs in an expanded state, that can be uncomfortable for some people.

Tim