THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Tinny sounding voice

Maybe your larynx is rising on higher notes... which causes a (usually undesirable) thin/trebly sound.

Maybe this might help. It takes a while to train the muscles [weeks & months].

You should always record so everyone knows where your voice is.

Your wording sounds like you have a weak [or no] head voice or pharyngeal. To get higher notes you should practice a light and pure head voice or soft falsetto. When you do full voice in transcending tone you combine it with pharyngeal to beef it up.

So you need the choir/girly/bell-like sound before you get like a honk. Then that honk becomes sorta manly when you learn to add distortion and throat control.

Hope that helps.

Thanks Rodney and Christopher that's much appreciated.

I'll keep an eye on the larynx and start doing some exercises to get that to stay down.

I record every time I practice so it should be easy to keep track of any improvement.

Also I'm currently working on the basic falsetto slides so I guess I just need to be a bit more patient with the whole thing.

This is a whole different ball game to when I was shouting in a punk band lol. A lot more beneficial though I'd imagine.

Oh while I remember when doing the falsetto slide after I reach about G# above middle C I tend to get a lot of tension in my throat. It's not painful just feels very tight. Is this normal to start off with as I don't get it on any of the other notes.

It's all in dropping the jaw and sculpting the instrument. SEe my other post to Aiden for help.

Joe Wicks
Thanks Rodney and Christopher that's much appreciated.

I'll keep an eye on the larynx and start doing some exercises to get that to stay down.

I record every time I practice so it should be easy to keep track of any improvement.

Also I'm currently working on the basic falsetto slides so I guess I just need to be a bit more patient with the whole thing.

This is a whole different ball game to when I was shouting in a punk band lol. A lot more beneficial though I'd imagine.

Oh while I remember when doing the falsetto slide after I reach about G# above middle C I tend to get a lot of tension in my throat. It's not painful just feels very tight. Is this normal to start off with as I don't get it on any of the other notes.

Hey Joe,

Don't worry about trying to get all of this stuff overnight. It takes time to absorb it and to train your voice. It can be easy to get impatient, but don't try to push too hard too soon. You can damage your voice if you do that. Also, keep this in mind, the type of voice you have and your basic "sound/tone" is not going to change much. You can train to sing super high/low, but your basic tone, while it can be improved by freeing your voice, isn't going to drastically change. If you have a lyric (lighter mellow sweet sound)like James Taylor, then you aren't going to suddenly sound like Steve Perry from Journey no matter how hard you try and like that tone. If you are a baritone, then you are going to have a different sound when you sing in the tenor range than a tenor does. That isn't a bad thing, just something to keep in mind so you keep your expectations realistic. A tenor singing in chest voice has a different sound than a bass singing in chest voice..etc. You can get the notes, but don't try to force your voice into sounding unnatural. Also, It might be a good idea to learn to sing properly in a small comfortable range of your voice before trying to sing super high/low too soon. It is better to sound good in a small part of your voice than to have a huge range that all sounds like crap. LOL! Good luck, man.

Thanks Oiselle. I do keep trying to remind myself to keep my jaw open. Where can I find your other post?

Haha you got me on that one Ben. Impatience is definitely a trait of mine when it comes to music and/or singing. Mainly because when I used to sing in punk bands with bad technique it actually sounded pretty good and now I'm trying to do it all properly it's like starting over again. It'll be worth it though.

I think I'm definitely a baritone. I naturally have a pretty deep voice and I can sing a lot easier lower than I can higher but then again that'll probably improve with training.

You make a good point about learning to sing well in a smaller comfortable range before stretching it a bit. I'll have to go dig out some Johnny Cash songs lol. They seem to fit my natural range pretty well.

I can't really think of any punk/heavier bands that use a low range. They mostly seem to sing higher. Guess I'll have to a listen around and find some.

Thanks again guys.

I don't know what kinda punk you like but Mark Hoppus has a pretty deep tone from Blink 182. Maybe practise that for a bit.

Green Day also is singable for a baritone and also Fall Out Boy (these are all verging on pretty pop though).

:)

Cheers Doug.

I'm more into the harder stuff like The Casualties, UK Subs, Crass,
Discharge myself but it may be worth giving the other stuff a go as well.