THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
One silly question again..

Hello everybody!

I've been practicing actively Jaime exercises. And I think that I can understand the breathing, and support etc how those are to be done. And something small progress I have already gained. Although this is only the third week that I'm practicing with Jaime's method.

I worked at the factory during the day and sometimes I have to lift a lot of heavy things. And now I've had a sore lower back about week or so. And that leads to my stupid question .. If I do breathing and support correctly so it should just feel in your lower back as well? And now I've noticed that the lower back pain is just to prevent me from doing those exercises fully, or even sing properly when I can not wear properly support and so on.. Does that make any sense?

I've tried to read and look for answers from this Forum, but it is difficult to find the information.

Thank you in advance for your replies! :)

-Risto

Re: One silly question again..

Hi, I'm new but maybe I might be able to help if others are busy.

Posture is important, especially if you're a beginner but if your back is really hurting you and you desperately want to sing you can sit in a chair.

If you're experienced and skilled with your voice you can sing in a lot of awkward positions, but it's nothing like having the stability and power of standing. That and if you don't have experience it can be difficult to direct your voice if you're drooping.

Most importantly you need to get rid of unconscious bad habits that deal with posture, but also positioning, throat, breathing, muscles, nerves, emotions, etc.

So in the end that answer is very similar to anything you allocate and invest time in ie, "What do I do if my back is hurt and I have a girlfriend / run laps / sit in front of a computer typing?"

Avoid if you are seriously injured, but if you need to or would like to then take it easy, be mindful, and you'll make some progress.

Hope that helps.

Proper breathing and support doesn't cause back pain or stomach pain, but it can cause a bit of fatigue in both areas because you're strengthening those muscles. I used to build bridges and carried lots of heavy steel. There were days when I thought I'd die from my lower back hurting. Even had neck surgery because of it. But, it didn't stop me from singing. I created Vocal Stress Release because of the neck trouble. So, do VSR and keeping exercising;)

Thanks again for your answers! :)