THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: how to make high notes sound so full like chris cornell

I'm sure he does Jaime! I find that after an 8 hour day in the studio my voice is only THEN starting to become perfectly controllable to the nuance...

- I'll warm up with my vocal routine for an hour or so, rest 20-30 mins
- start recording, taking mini 5 min breaks between takes
- do this for a few hours, take a lunch break for an hour or so
- get back in the room do more takes...
- after about 6 hours of recording, i'll get in my car to pick up my wife from work, an hour or so drive, in that 1 hour i'll sing an entire album cd of a singer i like, or i'll run through my vocal exercises again for the hour.

after an hour or so of resting after all this, my voice is in a state where i my voice is like 10 times better with so so so much control over chestiness/softness/mix etc and singing high is effortless because songs that were too high before i can now dial down the chest ever so slightly, mixing it more in the head and hit the notes easier yet still have it sound chesty.

I then find that after about 6 months or so, as i get better, my warmed up voice 6 months ago is like my cold voice now...i can't wait to have my 8 hour warmed up voice as my default cold voice! perhaps in a year or two!

if a pro singer like cornell is warming up majorly to sing his songs then you sure better warmup twice as much as he does to have a chance at singing anything near his level!

if your technique is wrong though you won't be able to last this many hours! but using RYV technique aiming in the soft palate/support you'll be fine!

thanks!

phil
www.bushido-self-improvement.com

thanx for takin the time and replying in detail....thats a lotta time spent singing man wow..yeah even i need to sing for a while before i can hit high notes...but are there any specific exercises which can help me add a very chesty heavy sound to my high notes

vowel modifications will allow you to pull the chest higher before you pass it off to the head voice. this means as you get higher the sound goes "darker". i have a few videos on this on my youtube channel (shameless plug) www.youtube.com/philmoufarrege
just do a search for vowel modifications

other than that, it's basically about doing the RYV exercises/techniques and warming up thoroughly. singing is pretty simple, it's just it takes awhile to develop the skills necessary to sing how we want. it's easy to forget the amount of years that goes into building our favourite singer's voices that we idolize.