THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Caffeine boost replacement ideas?

Ok i will look into that.

A question for you jaime, I have read the health section of RYV a few times and there are so many ideas of supplements and the like to take.
I want to get a few of them and try and get a routine happening. What would you suggest i get as the top 3 or 4? A multivatamin? B vitamins zinc and ginseng? would that be a good starting point?
The only non tablet zinc i have found locally is in a powder form and it has an orange flavouring to it (called zinc fix) does that sound ok or should i look for a liquid version still?
I am new to the world of supplements

I think it's very individual when it comes to the effect of caffeine on voiceproduction. Latest research fails to prove any ill effects:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21704493

"Ingestion of caffeine did not adversely affect voice production."

i agree wtih sofus. nothing wrong with roasted beans (coffee) just stay away from instant coffee. it's the cooked dairy we put in it that can cause the mucus. i stopped drinking coffee because i couldn't enjoy it without milk, and i don't want to drink milk. so to get my energy boost i eat more carbohydrates (fruit, grains, vegetables), if you eat ENOUGH then you won't even crave coffee. i eat between 3000-5000 calories per day, about 80% coming from carbohydrates in the form of fruits, vegetables and grains (rice/barley/wheat) sometimes i'll smash down half a pound of dates. funny how people don't say **** if you eat hamburgers and twinkie bars but as soon as you're eating 10 bananas people are saying "is that safe to do? isn't that too much fruit?" hahaha.
i stay away from supplements, i trust billions of years of science (nature) over 50-60 years of experimental product marketing.

phil
www.bushido-self-improvement.com

Ya know, I still stand by my thoughts on caffeine, but Sofus and Phil do have good points. I know caffeine messes me up, but I remember Tony Harnell telling me years ago about a study which said it's more an individual effect, sort of like the "milk is bad for singers," philosophy. Well, milk never affected me...but the caffeine sure does;)

It could just be the milk for me so i am thinking of trying coffee with almond milk. If that does not help i will know i am in the same boat as jaime.

Anyone had success with almond milk? My local cafes would probably not stock it though.

I use almond milk, I don't consume any dairy, and almond milk has never been a problem for me. I've never tried it with coffee since I stopped drinking coffee a few years ago.

Miss you Sofus, glad to see you on here. Hope all is going well over in your neck of the woods and hope you're still performing:) Happy New Year to you all as well:)

Yeah Sofus what's new man? I saw a small clip of a performance you did a few years back, I'd love to see any recent work if you don't mind, really love your voice and singing dude!

Thank you Phil. Well I haven't been doing any shows (musicals) lately because I'm busy studying. This summer I will hopefully get my degree in speech and language pathology. However, in 2011 I played the leading role in "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers":

https://www.box.com/shared/nlkotziaivl56032aa46

I also hope that your world is rocking Jaime! Looking forward to the new RYV2.

I agree Jaime. It's very individual and people should find out how their own voice responds. Personally I'm not affected by either milk or coffee.

Happy New Year to ya all!!