THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How loud is "low to mid volume" when screaming

I hope the following helps:

it's easy to get caught up in intellectualizing all of this stuff when it is quite simple. any sort of power sounds (carrying chest voice higher, belting, screaming etc) will be loud.

the best advice i can give is this: know what sound you want for your particular music. if you know what sound you want then you can easily gauge how far off the mark you are with your voice.

but in general volume i think comes down to 2 things:

1. stylistic choice (how loud you WANT it)
2. how much volume you need to actually make the sound

staying in chest voice higher up typically requires more volume, if you lower the volume it typically means you would be bridging into head voice earlier. i prefer to call this how much you LEAN INTO the sound or not (because this is how it feels to me).

so i recommend asking yourself how loud you want to be (how hard do you want to sing or how soft do you want to sing), and then asking yourself how loud you need to be to scream correctly.

thinking about volume is really only necessary in an acoustic area without a microphone, because soft vocal parts may not be heard so you may need to adjust these vocal lines into a fuller voice so that it has enough volume to cut through the acoustic instruments. with a mic you can record soft falsetto parts in songs that can easily be heard when they are mixed correctly into the song etc.

Hey Phill Thanks for the reply :D

Like a lot of things I'm probably over thinking a bit
Just practice and have fun. Its probably a bit early in my voice training where I should even be messing around with more extreme effects, I still have a ways to go just with just my singing.

Thanks again for the help
"D"

Phil - On the money. Exactly how I look at the volume paradigm.

As long as you support correctly it doesn't matter. You can still sing higher with less volume as well. If it hurts, you're doing something wrong.