THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Help with Voice Identity

I think you have a great, warm tone, Ben. as far as grit, everyone can get it, but sometimes it's extremely hard to figure out. It's like being totally ****** off as you sing to add that edge, without letting the true emotion sneak in and clench your throat. Or like Thomas Appell says; "it's grunting without grunting." The muscles beside the cords must squeeze in the glottis to hold back a bit more breath, but if we grunt, or squeeze with the exterior neck muscles, it makes things worse.

Yeah, this last paragraph didn't help a dang bit, because it's just like most coaches going on about something in words that doesn't make a difference in practical application. So, throwing the above explanation out the door, try singing in your low range with just a bit of aggravated tone to get that "rrrgggg" sound slightly on your low, nice warm tone. When you can add just a teensy bit o' grit, continue playing around with it as you sing. over the course of a few months you can add more and more until it feels easy to do;)

PS- Congrats on the baby:) Now, watch her in the crib and observe her abdominal movements when she screams like a banshee;)

Jaime Vendera
PS- Congrats on the baby:) Now, watch her in the crib and observe her abdominal movements when she screams like a banshee;)
Thanks for the advice, Jamie. Having a new baby is one of the most tiring and fulfilling things a dad can do! We are doing great and now I have new inspiration to sing. You know something that is annoying? When I first got RYV and started using it for a a few months one of my biggest influences was Jim Morrison. I tried and tried to sing like him, but it never worked. One day in the car driving home when L.A. Woman came on the radio. I started singing very "Morrisoney" even on the gritty parts almost effortlessly and my throat didn't hurt or burn at all. I didn't feel it in my throat at all actually. My wife says it was the best I've ever sounded. Problem is, I can't reproduce it! LOL! Try as I may, I don't know how I did it at all. Maybe I just need to get back to doing the full RYV warmups and exercises to the T. I still do the isolation exercises pretty frequently.

Try to be yourself, and not sound like others and it will be easier. YES, go back to full warmups. Do VSR while in the shower while singing along to Voice RX or another warm up, so that you are consistent every day;)

Jaime Vendera
Try to be yourself, and not sound like others and it will be easier. YES, go back to full warmups. Do VSR while in the shower while singing along to Voice RX or another warm up, so that you are consistent every day;)
Hey Thanks again, Jamie! I really don't want to sound like anyone else. I'm really happy with my voice and tone, I just want to be able to do other styles. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving and have a Merry Christmas!

You too. keep the board going. I wanted this forum separate than all other singing forums. Just something quaint and cozy for RYV users so we don't have a bunch of people arguing over methodologies. I used to belong to one years ago, like singers unit or singers solution or something and it was nothing but a thousand people having a peeing contest.

Jaime Vendera
You too. keep the board going. I wanted this forum separate than all other singing forums. Just something quaint and cozy for RYV users so we don't have a bunch of people arguing over methodologies. I used to belong to one years ago, like singers unit or singers solution or something and it was nothing but a thousand people having a peeing contest.
True, I agree. I was part of that and it was unproductive and a waste of time and energy. Everyone should use whatever works to make them a better singer. People all learn differently. People have different goals as well.

Hrdzi
It would be better if you recorded some simple exercise, like vowel "a" on a five tone skill. Then you can identify your break point, for Bases it´s around A,B,Bflat below middle C, for baritones, it could be from middle C to D, and for Tenors, from D anywhere to Fsharp. It´s hard to identify your voice classification from a song. You do have a low voice though, but a very very nice country tone how did u learn that nice country tone? I don´t know why you want to sing rock, you should do country!

Here is me doing an ascending vowel. I have no idea where I'm breaking or anything like that. I know it sounds bad. LOL! What do you thing? https://www.box.com/s/53pvavjh8wfspuhclzjb

Very proud of you for posting, and exceptionally happy you stopped when you caught the break, did it again, and stuck with it to go even higher. That's how you get better:) I cannot remember if I added this scale on the members section. If not, email me and I might have some mp3s to send you. Remember to always support down, and keep the notes as clean as possible. I heard a little breathy rasp early on, but you quickly fixed it;) You'll get stronger with consistency, regardless of whether you're doing scales or the Isolation exercises. But, you're already doing great!

BTW- those "vowel" and "isolation" exercises do not cause damage or nodules as one of my administrators brought to my attention as posted in another blog. I didn't get to read the post before it was deleted, but from what I gathered, it's just another one of my "non-fans" haha. I have my cords scoped each year and they are in perfect health. Those slides are what brought James Labrie's voice back and he'll attest to it. So, don't be afraid to work hard, follow the book, and you'll do great:)

Jaime Vendera
Very proud of you for posting, and exceptionally happy you stopped when you caught the break, did it again, and stuck with it to go even higher. That's how you get better:) I cannot remember if I added this scale on the members section. If not, email me and I might have some mp3s to send you. Remember to always support down, and keep the notes as clean as possible. I heard a little breathy rasp early on, but you quickly fixed it;) You'll get stronger with consistency, regardless of whether you're doing scales or the Isolation exercises. But, you're already doing great!

BTW- those "vowel" and "isolation" exercises do not cause damage or nodules as one of my administrators brought to my attention as posted in another blog. I didn't get to read the post before it was deleted, but from what I gathered, it's just another one of my "non-fans" haha. I have my cords scoped each year and they are in perfect health. Those slides are what brought James Labrie's voice back and he'll attest to it. So, don't be afraid to work hard, follow the book, and you'll do great:)
Thanks very much Jamie. Can anyone tell me what note I'm actually breaking on?