THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: jaw position

cfn
i came across this video and realised i was singing wrong all along...can someone comment on this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnO4ciIaUjk ...should i use minimum mouth movement even when singing proper rock songs ...i was lookin at one freddy mercury clip and i realised even he sings this way with his lower jaw slightly behind as compared to the upper jaw

You have to keep in mind that FM had an overbite.
When you open your mouth, you jaw will open "back" a bit naturally, it is the way the lower Jaw is hinged into the rest of the skull. I used to always jut my lower jaw out prior to taking any voice lessons because I thought that was what you were supposed to do to create an "open" throat.

so i am supposed to sing that way ryt?not opening the mouth too wide..also i realised its much easier to sing that way...evening kathrin sadolins complete vocal technique says to keep the lower jaw slighltly behind

cfn
so i am supposed to sing that way ryt?not opening the mouth too wide..also i realised its much easier to sing that way...evening kathrin sadolins complete vocal technique says to keep the lower jaw slighltly behind

Unless you are pushing your jaw forward, or have TMJ, I don't think you have a choice - it's going to open backwards - that is what it does. The emphasis of that guy's video, was to make sure you are not tightening your throat or jaw up when you sing.

Tim

Fixing your jaw position is a crucial part or correcting your singing technique. I am no singing teacher, but this worked for me and may for you too. I'll give it to you in steps:

1. Take that deep breath, make sure to keep your neck, throat and facial muscles disengaged.

2. Using your hand, gently bring your jaw DOWN and BACK. Make sure you drop the jaw a good amount, keeping the jaw muscles out of the picture. Your jaw is hanging freely.

4. Bring your hand away from your face. (optional)

4. Repeat step one, you may notice a spot on the roof of your mouth that gets cold when you inhale (you have to breathe through your mouth for that)

5. Sing on a vowel of your choice (I like "Ah" as in "Awesome") and aim your voice towards the cold spot.

As soon as I did this, my voice completely changed. I find that doing slides like this really makes my voice resonate without any effort. LEt me know if this had any effect on your voice :)

@kevin...yea thats xactly wat i am talkn about...but on high notes it feels like the sound's getting kinda nasal and thin if i dont open my mouth more...i usually jus lift the soft palate higher when the sound gets thinner and it seems to work fine...and yeah the resonance is so much better singing this way

Glad it helped!