THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Should I practice while recovering from vocal damage I believe I sustained from reflux?

I recently finished a busy summer of performing as an acoustic solo artist. I purchased both Raise Your Voice and The Ultimate Breathing Workout at the beginning of the summer and practiced the exercises in them every day and was noticing dramatic improvements in my voice. However, at my last two gigs of the summer, I noticed I was exerting more effort than usual to get the notes out. After finishing these gigs, I decided to give my voice a rest for a week and my voice experienced slight improvement. However, after singing for a day, my voice returned to a weaker state. The only issue is that my voice has been getting progressively worse even as I rest it. My immediate conclusion was that I must have vocal nodes. However, I am not experiencing any raspiness or breathiness. Instead, I am hitting about one or three notes that have a rough quality to them in my mid range and my voice cracks every once in a while as I speak, similarly to when I was going through puberty. In hindsight, over the course of the summer I noticed would wake up in the morning with a sore throat quite often and immediately assume I was sick, but this sensation would go away as the day went alone. Lately, as of the time my vocal problems have really been setting in, I've woken up with a sour taste in my mouth and my throat feeling on fire almost every morning. I've been taking medication for acid reflux for the past few days and elevating my head at night to alleviate this issue, and hoping that my voice will improve. In addition, I've been drinking a ton of water, resting my voice, and praying. My central question is should I be singing right now or just giving my voice some time to heal? Will singing aggravate the damage already caused by what I believe to be acid reflux? Are there any exercises anyone would advise working on in order to return my voice to its normal state? It's really killing me right now trying to be silent when I should be socializing during my first week of college and sharing my talents with everyone on campus. Thanks for your time everyone.

Re: Should I practice while recovering from vocal damage I believe I sustained from reflux?

in my experience, acid reflux is due to certain things you constantly eat-such as dairy products and fried food. to make singing easier, reduce the amount you eat of that, and you can just purchase a bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar from a GNC or other health store, and mix it with honey-drink it everyday.
i always sang even when i had acid reflux... it's a problem but i don't think it's something that could lead to losing your voice, but it won't make you sound good lol. .