THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Did I wear down my voice??

Sorry, it's A4 ,not A3

Hey Zeno!
When you are able to hit notes in your upper register effortlessly but
your middle range is shot, it basically means that you have overworked your muscles.
If that happens, give your voice a break until the next day.
Yesterday I had the same problem too. I was able to scream my D5s and E5s like a banshee but my middle range was shot. We all have to find out for ourselves how much practicing is enough and how much is too much.
Don't forget that singing muscles are just that, muscles, and muscles can tire
if you put too much pressure on them.

Take it slow and don't sweat it ;)
René

Thanks for your reply!
It also cracks when I speak in lower tone too..
It sounds discontinuously that I've never been, a bit like the the "#57 Mmm Fry example"of RYV book.
Hoping it's not a serious damage....

you're welcome, Zeno.
How long have you been experiencing this issue?
A vocal fry in your lower speaking voice or your speaking voice in general
could be a sign of swollen vocal folds. If your folds are swollen they can not take
the pressure as usual so they switch to fry to protect themselves from damage.
Actually they do that every day after you wake up.
Fry is created by a glotal unbalance to protect your folds.
In the morning your folds are not warmed up, the blood flow is not strong
and therefor they are quite unflexible.
In short form: everytime your voice produces unwanted fry, your folds need protection.
But I don't think it is a longterm damage!
I have had that issue before too. Just give your voice a break for one or two days .

You'll be alright :)
have a nice day!
René

Thanks again;)
It just happen at my lower range of speaking and when I push to speak louder at general range, and also at the high range. But when I speak normal, it's fine.
Yea I think you are right. My folds are probably swollen 'cos I feel a little bit tension inside my throat all the time, since it happened 2 days ago.
Thanks for your answer! Relax me a lot! I will take 2 more days rest and should drink some more water.

yeah just give it a break!
Besides water you should also drink zink which
is a great help for your voice.
Furthermore drink hot water with honey, you can also add lemmon and ginger if you want.
An exellent help for swollen folds is liquid licorice!
try gargling that stuff, you'll be amazed :)
You should be able to get liquid licorice in an ordinary drugstore.
Gargling is a lot more helpfull to the voice than just drinking.
If you just swallow the good old H2O it will need twenty minutes
until it hydrates your folds. But gargling hydrates immediately.
Gargling also prevents you from over- hydrating your body!

Good luck!
kick those vocal problem's a** ;)
René

Wow!! Thanks for the tips!! Helps a lot!! Deeply appreciated!!!