THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I just found my grit! (and few new tips)

This is like the best thing in my life. And it wasn't hard at all! Yes, I literally feel the rumbling in my soft palate, it's so cool.

For the last few weeks I've been practicing (trying to find) it and now it just clicked. I don't know how I haven't found this before because it's so easy now that I now what to do, lol.

All my previous attempts failed and I could only do it for like 3 secs until it started to hurt and burn. Now I just "gritted" for five minutes with only a minor burning sensation (probably caused by the fact that it took couple of incorrect attempts before discovering the right one). It doesn't feel any different from normal singing, it's just like adding a new layer on top of it.

This is so awesome, because I can finally start using Extreme Scream series that I've bought! Here we come, rock & roll!

For those who wish to know how I found it, as I know it can be a bit difficult because it's actually a whole new sensation (atleast for me it was). What I actually did was, I went in front of a mirror and used a led light to see into my mouth and started to gargle. After I saw how my uvula moved, I started to attempt grit and place the sensation visually into the back of my throat. Then it just clicked, no additional strings attached.

So, experiment! Another important aspect is not to fear the pain that results from doing it incorrectly. This was a huge block for me so I just started to do it incorrectly and yes, it hurt, but the "pain"/sore feeling only lasted for like few hours so it's not really that bad.

Don't be afraid to hurt yourself when your finding the grit! You will hurt yourself but it wont permanently damage your voice at all so don't be afraid of it. If you're somewhat warmed up, it's easy to just spontaneously try out a grit wherever you are. Just a few seconds few times a day.

You'll walk through the bushes but eventually you'll stumble upon the right track and it's easy to start rolling the right way, but if you just stay still, nothing's going to happen.

Peace out and thanks Jaime & Co (everyone in this forum)!

Re: I just found my grit! (and few new tips)

Hmm I just tried to move my gargling forwards and then try to sing some notes, it's the first time I feel the grit without pain, and it feels so smooth, thanks :D, although I find it hard to pronounce anything other than "aaaaa" and I find it hard to move to the upper register with grit, I'm guessing it takes practice or something, but sounds really cool on low notes :D, I try to figure it out

Re: I just found my grit! (and few new tips)

i found mine today :) :) i got there by accident....i was trying to sing opera by lifting the soft palate and suddenly it clicked and my soft palate started vibrating with the rummbling sound...the focus is not on the vocal cords...but on the soft palate...hope u guys find it as well...its awesome...but i dont think one should practice this too much...my soft palate kinda hurts a bit afta a long time....now i jus need to learn how to sing with grit...as of now i can only make uuhhhhh or ahhh sounds