THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
30 Seconds To Mars

Any tips on singing like Jared Leto?

Re: 30 Seconds To Mars

I'd like to know too. I really like his voice.

He has a nice mid range quality to his voice.

Jared Leto

Jared Leto is insane. He's also completely perfect live, especially on the most recent tour. He has a very unique vibrato sound. Its almost like his voice is cracking at times when he hits a high note and lets it shake crazily with vibrato and rasp.

Just try singing along for a while and maybe you'll be able to emulate some of the stuff he does. I found that using less breath and letting some rasp naturally come out while singing helps give me that tone and that shakiness on the vibrato. Its almost like you have to try to sing quieter, but still keep the same pressure.

You should all know that Jared Leto is using autotune like crazy. He's not capable to sing live very well without it, so when he can't use autotune, he let the crowd sing almost half of heavier songs to sing (for example The Kill).
Now, I'm fan of 30 Seconds to Mars, and Jared is good singer but not so good as you hear it on records unfortunately... :/ Just listen some more of their live performances of The Kill, and you will realize that on many performances (those without autotune) he can't sing it that well. It still sounds good, but still not THAT good ;)

At their last gig in my city, he got the audience to sing most of the high choruses.

What is autotune and what does it do exactly?

For some reason I think of Cher when I think autotune. Maybe that is a vocoder?

Autotune corrects pitch and can give the sound a howling, even robotic tone sometimes. Very popular effect if you check MTV "music" sometimes...

Yes, it's sounds like that song of Cher, can't remember the name, you got it. Katy Perry is perfect example of autotune, too ;)
Unfortunately, most of today MTV artists use it in some way or another... It's pity, talent is not what it was in the past anymore :( not saying that some of them dont have it...

how quickly could one learn to sing like this?

If you listen to their more current live songs, he is almost flawless live. He does let the audience sing a lot, but every part he does sing, he nails. And he usually skips parts which are repetitive in nature, and he usually does all the high notes live.

There are certain instances where he is obviously vocally tired, and skips some high notes, but for the most part he's been dominating this new album live.

Also, the auto-tune only slides the note to whatever it is closest too. It is simply a clean up which corrects all of the slightly off key notes. There are several different versions of auto-tune, but none really make you sound that much better.

Autotune
You should all know that Jared Leto is using autotune like crazy. He's not capable to sing live very well without it, so when he can't use autotune, he let the crowd sing almost half of heavier songs to sing (for example The Kill).
Now, I'm fan of 30 Seconds to Mars, and Jared is good singer but not so good as you hear it on records unfortunately... :/ Just listen some more of their live performances of The Kill, and you will realize that on many performances (those without autotune) he can't sing it that well. It still sounds good, but still not THAT good ;)

Actually, autotune is very obvious when you listen to it, and it is clear that Jared doesn't actually use autotune on lives. Autotuned voice has a very distinct step-like sound and cannot create the gliding sound that Jared likes to use a lot. Jared has a tendency to push a long note up in pitch as he holds it, and many of his lives employs many gliding notes, which is not possible using autotune. Also, Jared employs a lot of intense vibrato that gives his voice a bit of angst, which is also not possible using autotune as autotune will keep the note steady. Have you actually tried listening to 30STM lives? Jared is an amazing singer, and I in fact prefer their lives than their studio songs (though the studio songs are amazing as well)

This appears to be a more 'unplugged/unmixed' performance:

To me it almost sounds like he's shouting--especially on the 'No, no, no!' because the grit and tone is kinda inconsistent. I mean is it just his style to sound like you're blowing out your voice?

Overall grit and scream emulation seem pretty straightforward. I think the real challenge is the slight twang and what not but I don't sing country (not yet anyways haha).

=============================

Pretty much all of the producers/engineers in modern-pop will tinker with your voice and autotune unless you fight them hard. I think they even do that to a lot of rock groups--and their instruments as well. It's expected now to basically 'audio Photoshop' consumer products.

Definitely some vocal tuning live on that video.

People need to keep in mind tuning doesn't have to sound like TPain and everything nowadays has substantial tuning (usually with Melodyne due to its transparency). It's probably a big reason why anything you record doesn't sound close to recorded artists now. You still need to sing great for the end product to sound good with any tuning but it can give that extra sheen that people would be used to hearing since the late 90's.

Topic resurrection:

Auto tuning?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddgbSFH-cnk

Comments please.