THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Arceneux Approach

Hey guys,

I'm wondering if anyone here's looked into the Arceneaux Approach V1. I've read the booklet and listened to the CD's. It's mostly a lot of rehashed SLS stuff building up over a 6-week period.

The one thing he brings to the table seems to be his 6-week diaphragm strengthening routine. It's simply making a "SH" sound as loud and fast as you can until your lungs are empty then breathing normal for a couple breaths. You do this 10x in a row. Each week you use a new position while doing it. For instance, bending down as you do it, lifting and lowering each leg, etc.

Has anyone heard of this method of "diaphragm strengthening?" Is there any validity to it? I've been experimenting with it for a few weeks, but honestly can't tell if it's much use.

I've been using it along with some intercostal opening postures I learned from Per Bristow(For instance, hugging oneself for a few breaths, arms high in the air for a few breaths, etc.), so I'm not sure if Arceneaux's stuff is really worth continuing, or if it's merely the Bristow postures opening up more breathing space.

Re: Arceneux Approach

I haven't heard of this breathing exercise either. Anyone else?

it almost sounds like the power breathing we use in the RKC system

Oh yea? How does that power breathing work? And have you noticed any side benefits for your singing?

Yes from what I've heard the Arceneaux Approach is the BOMB. He also has a 2.0 and 3.0. I have a feeling you'll like those, they've had alot more hype. And the breathing exercises are effective.

So tell about the Bristow method if you don't mind. I've heard some crazy hype about this method as well.