THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Per Bristow's method

Has anyone tried Per Bristow's method of singing. I just came across it, and was giving a lot of thought toward purchasing his DVD's although I have bought crap before and want to make sure it is worth the $97. Any input would be appreciated.

Re: Per Bristow's method

I'd do a lesson via webcam with Jaime instead.

I can tell you this. From what it says there it doesn't seem to be just any program. I'm not saying if its good, it's just that I dont think its like one of those programs that is just another SLS but with a different name.
The other thing I can tell you is, stick with RYV for at least 6 months before buying something else. You have enough to learn from Jamie and so does your voice!!
I do want to try it, but I myself have a lot to get out of RYV and UBW

I just finished DVD #4 tonight, and I say unequivocally that it is worth the price. I've had moments over the DVD's where I've had to laugh out loud at the results of certain "experiments" he's had me try. Laugh out loud because I'm realizing how much tension I've engendered trying to "control" my voice. His techniques may seem simplistic compared to the more "advanced" systems out there, but I think it is foundational. Especially for someone who is training for the most part on their own at home.

You can still gain massive benefit from RYV, from Singing Success, and from every other system you may study. But it will help you avoid many of the common pitfalls that are so easy to get into if you aren't able to study regularly with a good teacher. And if you've fallen into them, it will begin the undoing process.

Plus, it's just great fun. You really feel like you're there with the guy, and he's a badass guy.

Per actually sent me the DVDs as a gift but I haven't had the chance to watch them yet. I'll let ya know;)

hmm Austin have you watched his breathing DVD yet that comes in the program? I hear it's amazing. I'm considering buying this, but just wanted to know what its "theme" is from what the website says his theme seems to be "relax and don't worry so much and just sing and have fun".

Yes, he saves breathing for last, and for good reason. In the final DVD he includes exercises for opening up and strengthening the intercostal muscles, but his approach is way different from normal breath control. His understanding is that the average person approaches singing with way too much abdominal tension (and tension everywhere else for that matter), and so uses different movements to have a person break that up over the first 3 DVD's, while shattering a lot of myths about breath control and singing in general.

Now, this isn't to degrade teachings of breath strengthening, but merely to show that for many people, they are barking up the wrong tree, when their initial energies would be better spent elsewhere. I'm sorry if that sounds a little vague, but you have to do the experiments to see what I mean. The DVD's are fun, informative, and will help set the sail for your training...in my opinion of course ;)

I feel they are a great adjunct to RYV, and if you've hit a plateau or are stuck in any way in your training, take a few weeks and give them a shot. They may help you realign your approach.

Oh, and one more thing.

He reminds us all (and I think this is great advice) to shift your attention outside of yourself and your technique and give your attention while you singing to someone outside of yourself. It can be so easy while training to hyper-focus on technique and become almost introverted in your approach to singing.

He makes it easy to do with the DVD, as you imagine you are singing to him, and pay attention to what he does as you sing. But with or without the DVD's, I think it's great advice to oscillate between working on technique, and singing with your attention focused externally, forgetting all technique. After all, singing is about sharing, and is not a selfish affair...

And if you find your technique is making you hold back, rather than let go, you are approaching it wrong and should re-evaluate the way you are going about it...