THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Voice Straining

I find that i start to lose my voice very quickly, about after a couple of loud singing i start losing power and range. I think i have bad voal endurance, so sirens will help right? also when im in the jamming studio with my band, my voice strains really quickly. Am i singing wrong ?

Re: Voice Straining

the rehearsal thing can probably be explained by the fact that you might be pushing yourself too hard because you can't hear yourself and/or have some extra adrenaline pumping. try to adjust your levels so you can hear yourself over the band or try cupping your ears while singing. Jaime's book mentions a vocal acoustic monitor as another alternative.

yes, you would have to be unfortunately... Unless you have a cold or something like that...

I never used to lose my voice until I tried experimenting with rasp techniques. I got this thing that sounded pretty decent, but after I did it for a while It was hard to keep notes 100% clean. So after band practice nothing would hurt, but if I tried going louder it'd get raspy a bit if I didn't try to make it not rasp.

As soon as I stopped that I could last through shows and practice. Then after RYV I found I could last through LONGER practices and i'm assuming longer shows. Post some recordings of songs/exercises and some peeps on here will say what your doing wrong.

Oh another thing it could just be your singing a little higher than your used to, if that IS the case, your range/quality would come back in a few minutes. I used to get tired from singing "with or without you" by U2. I wouldn't be able to sing it twice in a row unless I took a 5 minute break in between or something. Now I could probably do it 5+ times in a row before I need a few minute break, plus it sounds better.

i dont think my band is playing too loud and im singing too hard because i can hear myself quite clearly when im talking while my band is playing. And after jamming and probably 1 hour break i get most of my voice back. So what should i do?

You should not be thinking "Is Sirens the answer?" You shopuld be doing the ENTIRE program! Vocal Stress Release, vocal wamrups, Falsetto Slides, Transcending Tone, and THEN Sirens. Then sing every day for stamina. Pay attention to support and placement. Rom wasn't built in a day, but if they had used these techniques, it might've been built in a week;)

Vern, if you're like me and you've been singing with bad technique for a while, you'll really need to concentrate hard when you do your scales. You and I need to practice the RYV methods a million times (and a bit more, to be totally sure) to internalise them, because it's very easy to slip into old methods when we're not conscious. And you do not want to be too conscious of any technique while singing; you just want to jump around and have fun and kick ass.

Swallow your impatience and work step by step, bro. I'm really thrilled right now because singing yesterday made me dizzy for the first time and that's an indication of good head resonance, as Jaime says. The key is to be motivated by every positive little change. Good luck!