THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Can someone give tips for singing eee's and ooo's?

After 3 years of RYV-ing everyday, I still have trouble negotiating the closed vowels. The eee's, the ooo's, the the short "I" vowels as in "in"...basically the more closed sounds. The sound is restricted and my voice gets tense when attempting to sing them purely, without modifying the the vowel. I hear a lot of singers modify their vowels pronounce their eee's as ayyy's and the ooo's as oh's...but then again, a lot of singers sing really high and keep that pure pure vowel sound? Any tips on what I should be focusing on when practicing?

P.S. this problem is only in the middle register approaching headvoice by the way...

Re: Can someone give tips for singing eee's and ooo's?

Try sustaining notes and moving towards the vowel as such:

Ayyyy------eeeeee

Ohhhhh-----ooooo

Start changing the shape of the mouth towards the troublesome vowel while maintaining the thought and internal sensation of the starting vowel. Do these like Isolation exercises working up in half steps through your midrange.

practice some ah, ay, ee, oh oo scales... focus on the back of your throat (soft palate area) as you are doing them. You will notice it feels nice and open on the ah and ay, but when you get to the ee oh and oo the back of your throat closes up. The trick is to keep it as open on the closed vowels as the ah and ay. When people tend to make a closed vowel sound, they let there throat close the vowel, but you have to learn how to keep the throat as open through all the vowels as the ah and ay and then to make the closed vowel sound you just have to over announciate with your lips.
So make sure the back of your throat stays nice and open and let the lips do all the work to create the closed sound.
good luck

Wow...it's already helping a bit...cool guys thanks.

I have HUGE problems with OH. My highest note with OH is 3 or 4 notes lower than Ay or EE or AH

Holy sh** that does work!

Don't suppose someone could make a video and demonstrate? I've been struggling with eee's for ages and it just seems....practically impossible to blend from Ay to eee.

Any tips for "oh" as in "DOH!" would be great :)

I guess what I don't get is....doesn't the sound of a vowel come from the tongue? How does changing the lips do anything....e.g. if I sing an AY and move my lips around, I still end up singing an AY.

sorry i was referring mainly to the oh's and oo's with the lips, what i meant to say was let your mouth and and lips do the work... lips for the oh's and oo's and the ee's need a smile mouth shape.
but the open throat must remain the same.

The back should always remain open. Imagine a huge orange between your back teeth. Open the back while you close the front got closer vowels