THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Do not make breath sounds as you inhale

Hello,
I've just purchased RYV2, and i'm loving it!!! The technique is so helpful & really goes hand in hand with the good techniques that i have learned previously.This is very comforting,and reassuring!!:)
I have a question about the breathing section on page 27. The part "Do not make breath sounds as you inhale"
I learned this process and was told it was called "retraction"
When I learned it my teacher told me it was like i was meant to feel like i was about to cry. I understand what Jaime is saying about the yawning sensation. This way seems much more relaxed in the throat. I was just wondering if the "retraction way" is the same thing.
I was taught this so you could not hear breath before singing live on mic.
Which brings me to another question - The "h" in singing to help bridge, make a smooth transtion when singing. I wasn't taught this, It is just something I do and wanted to know if that will cause tension?
I guess its like glottal onsets, the "h" sound, as i was taught aspirated, non aspirated and simultaneous. I use that sometimes with twang to help me bridge. just not sure if that will cause tension down the line?

Thank you!

Re: Do not make breath sounds as you inhale

I am pretty sure the about to cry thing is fine. As far as the H sound, here is my personaly feelings about this. It never worked for me...doesn't mean it won't work for you, but I personally don't see the sense in using all that breath to get you to bridge...Which is another term I really don't use. As far as my personaly teaching and RYV, I don't really use bridge, connect,twang, pharnyngeal. Yes they are mentioned in the book by other coaches but I just never saw the sense in it. Doesn't mean they are wrong, but my views of the voice came more from pro singers than teachers. I view the voice as one fluid flawless instrument. So if I tell people they have to bridge and connect, they wonder why, since I consider it all one voice. They way I approach teaching, I wouldn't want a student to think the need to bridge and connect or add twang. I want it to be second nature eventually and not thought of as having to add a tonal change or connect two voice always at a certain spot. I talk about the break and how to eliminate it. That works best for me and RYV. Now with that said, do not feel like you have to drop these terms from your vocalbulary. Use what works for you. But if we'd ever have a lesson together, we'd work towards yourt goals but without all these terms;) If it isn;t hurting you to do certain things and you aren't feeling hoarse the next day, then you are fine;)

Hey Jaime,

That makes complete sense. I just did my first vocal workout with the audio files of RYV, and I can see the one voice approach you are talking about, which is very cool :)
I have a few other lil questions about audio exercises
1.Chewbacca - is that sound down correctly if you have a bit of phlegm in the throat? Or is it purely breathe co-ordination?

2. ZZ - man it is hard to get up on the high notes on this one, is that right? i know practice haha

3. Yawn, (and hold out on any of the warm ups) - I feel my heart/pulse on the breath when I hold out these exercises. was kinda weird is that normal? I tried doing it with releasing more air (like feelin the sides of your expanded ribs collapse a bit)

OOPPPSO posted to quick

THANK YOU

ROCK OUT

Hey buddy, here's a few tips:

1.Chewbacca - is that sound down correctly if you have a bit of phlegm in the throat? Or is it purely breathe co-ordination?

No. The phlegm could be lack of water or too much tension.

2. ZZ - man it is hard to get up on the high notes on this one, is that right? i know practice haha

You are allowed to go into falsetto on these warmups, so don't forget that;)

3. Yawn, (and hold out on any of the warm ups) - I feel my heart/pulse on the breath when I hold out these exercises. was kinda weird is that normal? I tried doing it with releasing more air (like feelin the sides of your expanded ribs collapse a bit)

A yawning sensation, not a total yawn. A real yawn will drop the larynx and we don't want that. I have felt my heartbeat before as I did these. The goal is to work for it, so it is supposed to be tough!

Hey Jaime
Thanks mate, I know hard work is good work, & as hard as it may be I'm freaking lovin it!!
Now back to it YEEESSSIRAHHH