THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Grit/scream volume

Hi,
I know the answer to this question is difficult to write , but let's try anyway...
I've been practicing grit for some time now because I want to add it to my too clean voice for the kind of music I make (something like Senteced or Paradise Lost).
I want to be able to control my grit the way singers like Nick Holmes (Paradise Lost) or Ville from Sentenced/Poisonblack do (I don't want to imitate, these are just two examples of the voice/grit balance I want to obtain).

My problem is: how loud should I sing with grit?
When I'm practicing I noticed that I'm able to control grit well only if I sing at low volume.
If I try to sing louder grit disappears... Has it to do with losing chest pressure?
How loud do heavy screamers from scandinavian bands like Dark Tranquillity or In Flames scream?
Sometimes it seems to me that they are not loud at all, it looks to me they are using mic and compression to "fit in the mix".
Many thanks and congratulations to Jaime and the others for the knowledge they are transmitting.
Frank

Re: Grit/scream volume

You shouldn't sing loud when you do grit. I think that's pretty much the rule to preserve your vocal cords

Frank, a lot of singers scream their brains out...but that's why they lose their voice. It is obvious that it takes more energy to scream or add grit because grit is an inflection that you are adding to your clean voice. So it might be slightly louder. However you want to focus on the quality of the grit being added as opposed to screaming your brians out or else it won't be placed/felt in the palate correctly and you'll lose. Like Oiselle says, it does NOT have to be that loud. Now when i demonstrate some screaming, I belt pretty loud to show a new singer the power of it...But it never hurts me because I always place/feel it in my palate. if I were to sing all night, I wouldn't be super loud, I'd let the mic do the work.

Hi,
Thanks for the answers. Actually my main problem is quite the opposite, as I can control my grit while at low volume but it goes away if I sing a full note and try to add grit to it.
Even practicing the low grit exercise I start at a volume (similar to yours in the audio file) but when the grit 'clicks' in I notice that the volume of the voice part of the emission is a lot lower than when I started. I suppose I need more practice...
Thanks again,
Frank

Tips anyone?
Thanks,
Frank

Maybe post an example here where people can listen. We need more to go on;)