THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Weird allergy

The last few days I started getting this weird allergy feeling. Its the usual stuffy weird noise problems. But also every so often I get a weird cough feeling and my voice feels all crackily.

I hummed a pitch and it just sounded like a fire or something, crackly and such until it finally cleared up. So its some weird mucus thing.

I tried doing some singing and falsetto was fine, but full voice, when I got to A4 it was shaking and felt like if I let go a little bit it would shake uncontrollable, so I tried adding a bit more and it turns to the vocal fry melissa cross scream thing. Every note I sang just easily flipped into that if I didn't try to make it not too.

What should I do aside from allergy pills and such? What could be the part of it affecting my voice?

Re: Weird allergy

is that an allergy? i'm not sure. i get that feeling too every once in a while. it's like my voice sounds a bit cracked and intonation and control are tougher than usual. i just assumed it's because my folds are not hydrated enough and so, I keep drinking water until it sounds fine.

would like to know the answer to this.

It could be your sinuses acting up. Check with your ENT.

Doesnt that cost mucho money? Anyways, its not that huge of a problem yet. Knock on wood xP.

There are all sorts of nasty infections going around right now. It's been lingering for a few months - I had it several months ago and it stunk, and I was just over at a friends house and she is just recovering from it - so it is still out there.

So, that could be what it is.

Make sure that you rinse your sinuses out a few times a day with saltwater - 1/8th teaspoon of salt in 8 ounces of warm water.
I personally use sea salt, which you will have to get from a health food store. GNC normally doesn't have it, so you'll have to look for a local "whole foods" kind of health food store - the kind run by old hippies.

Also, gargle with saltwater as well. I do both EVERY day - I just made a habit of it. I have horrible allergies this time of year, but this helps alleviate a lot of those issues. I did notice that once I cut dairy out of my diet, I started having virtually zero issues with the allergies. (btw, Jaime - I dropped 30 lbs. in the last 2 weeks, so now I'm down 46lbs. It's on, man! I'll have to send you an E-mail - I changed ISP's this week... bellsouth was giving me problems.)

Tim
Tim

Hooooooly ****, dude, dropping 30 pounds in two weeks is NOT HEALTHY. Go easy, please, for your own sake.

In fact, if you're losing weight that quickly I would venture to say that it's probably what's affecting your voice.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE BE CAREFUL. I've known people to end up in the hospital from dropping too much weight too quickly.

Oh, okay two different people.

Geeze, sorry, had a knee-jerk reaction :p.

I repeat though--probably not very healthy for you to lose that much weight that quickly.

LOL.

Hi James - I've been a weight lifter for quite a while - and I use this specialized diet for stripping fat out of my body. It's the same type of diet that many bodybuilders use when preparing for a competition. It means low cab, and a lot of time on the treadmill. Jaime and I are racing to see who can reach our goal the fastest. My goal is 220-230lbs with 6% body fat.

Tim

Oh. Body builder.

Okay, have fun :p. Sorry!!!! I've just known way too many of my friends who were stereo-typical fat opera singers, and made themselves massively sick trying to drop down to normal weight after they realized no one would cast them at their current weight.

dude your either effing tall, or effing jacked, or both.

220 and being 6 percent fat is like, crazy.

Yeah I am sucking Skully. I've only lost about 11 pounds, BUT, where I've had some skin issues I havent been on the cardio...However, now I am back on the cardio, up at 5AM jogging every day;)

Hey, I know I have you on my newsletter mailing list Andrew but for anyone else interested here is the Voice Yourself May newsletter; it focuses on allergies:

http://voiceyourselfintheclassroom.com/newsletter1may08.html

I personally use a diet low in histamine to control my skin and seasonal allergies.

I'm allergic to grass so right now the grass pollen air concentration is moderate but close to high where I live and I don't have any allergy symptoms (and I'm not taking any mediation of course). This morning many of my students had a runny nose and I just thought to myself; I think this diet really works!! It's tough but if you're committed it's not that bad. Give it a try and let me know if it helps you.