THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Vocal Release - Eric Frey

So a friend of mine let me borrow this program from him. I figured it couldn't hurt to do some new exercises and expand my horizons...

I was WRONG!

I was and still am completely shocked that this is allowed to be sold as a vocal instruction product. His exercises are the standard scales/vocalises, but he sings along and is COMPLETELY off pitch!!! You really have to hear it to believe it. How can this guy sell a program for US$100 a pop and not even be able to sing?

There's a piano in the background playing the correct pitch and his voice is just horribly off pitch singing along. To make matters worse, his voice breaks when he's trying to explain how to bridge from chest to head voice. He does it once to show how not to do it, then through the exercises, it breaks again and again.

I'm absolutely mortified that people are paying for this. I played it for my partner and she thought I was fooling around (it's actually quite funny to hear it...when you haven't forked out $100).

I know this forum is about being positive, but if I could contribute just one thing it would be to not recommend this product.

I'm open to anybody who has had positive experiences with this program...

Re: Vocal Release - Eric Frey

Haha, ok. Thanks for the heads up.

I will never knock a program, but I WAS going to review this program until I heard it. All I can say is that Twisted Thoughts hit it on the head!

Thank you twisted. I am always looking for stuff I can learn from, and i'll be sure to make sure I don't accidentally add this one to my list.

hehe i bought his first version of his program for 20 dollars.
Its completly horrible, worst program ever all times. It should be sold as comedy.
this was 4-5 years ago and i just started singing, i was so to say easy to skin.

****, I almost scheduled a lesson with this guy. I was gonna go out to see this ass in person before I bought his tape just to make sure he wasn't full of it. It couldn't hurt to see if he was as good as he says he is. Now I don't have to waste the time, thankyou.

On his website he doesn't go on to mention anything about his own teaching method other than a bunch of rhetoric about the mask. All he does is go out of his way to talk about how ****ty every other internet instruction program is. There were even one or two specific teachers he ripped on.

Yes I thought his sight was very rude. I even sent a link to My friend Brett Manning so he could take action. Brett just laughed and said "have you heard him sing?" I guess he had a point.

"hehe i bought his first version of his program for 20 dollars.
Its completly horrible, worst program ever all times. It should be sold as comedy.
this was 4-5 years ago and i just started singing, i was so to say easy to skin."

Jim Gillette's program could be sold as a comedy too. except his has sound advice on it from a guy who can actually sing and to me still is one of the best investments in regard to my voice I have ever made.

I bought his preogram for 75$, and after hearing it I wrote him back saying that I didn't learn anything new, so I would like my money back.
Did he answer me?
One guess....

I did some research, and apparently his is in the top 3 learn to sing programs bought on the internet...

Singing success
Singorama
Vocal Release

In that order. Among the reviews I saw there were phrases like "Eric Frey can definitely sing and in this program he will teach you to sing too!"

It all sounds very convincing is that sad part.

Everyone should be careful when getting stuff like this online. I'm glad I got RYV2 first, because now I can ignore anything that contradicts it.

They are pay per click sites and those sites that compare three products are from people who are affiliates with all three programs. So if you buy ANY of the three, they make a profit. I don't use pay per click or do affiliate programs with RYV...If I did I would probably have sold a lot more by now but that approach works better for 200 dollar systems. I would never say anything negative about Eric Frey on the net because too many people eat up negativity. I can say that I have not heard his new program but his original was not worth reviewing. Anyone who would outright bash another coach or program directly on their main site, would not be worth dealing with. I personally would never have bought his original program if at the time he had openly bashed Brett. But as I did, all I can say is there is a difference between cracking or breaking and sounding like crap to demonstrate what NOT to do and then showing the correct way to do it as I do in the audio files as compared to someone who cracks and breaks and makes excuses about it then never shows the right way.If Mr. Frey had REALLY been studying all these years, he would sound much better on the examples that I have heard. When I read his 30 page article with the program, it basically looked to me like he read Thomas Appel and Roger Love and tried to throw together something similar between the two, but with a poor layout. This reply is to give my review of Vocal Release to my students and NOT intended for anyone other than this board. I would NEVER sway you not to buy a product that you want, but I wanted you to know that my original thoughs on Vocal Release was that it was the worst program I have ever seen/heard. Make your own decision;)

Well the truth is negative enough for mr.Frey.

Selling a new car that doesnt work... is the same deal

Jaime I remember you had said at some point that you had checked out a couple of programs and that one of them (though you hadn't named names) was so terrible that it gave you to confidence to come out with your own product (raise your voice 1st edition). Is this that mystery program?

i just looked at his sales copy and he listed an online rhyming dictionary as a bonus. that might actually be a valuable thing but is pretty much available to everyone so here it is for the voice connection board members and anyone with google or yahoo search engines a free dictionary http://www.rhymer.com/

No that is not the mystery program. I had already written RYV when Vocal Release was out, but RYV wasn't released yet. They mystery product s a video tape from about 15-20 years ago. If someone finds it, remarks on it, then I will reveal it;)

So you're going to make us make your mistake?

Yep:) I feel VERY funny about pointing out horrible programs unless someone else brings it up first, because I would never want anyone bashing my books. So out of respect for the individual who did the program, I will give them the benefit of the doubt such as maybe they will either make the program better or drop it completely. Apparently I have heard with Frey that he just made his pile of crap bigger, but that didn't come from me.

is it the one by buddy mix? i saw it and he had completely different words for head voice (imagination) which a beginner might find confusing

nope but I got that one too

okay, i'm sorry i don't mean to trash anyone but i heard the demos this guy's uploaded on his site and not laughing uncontrollably was even tougher than breaking glass with one's voice must be he's so regularly off-key, it's like some new genre of music, like vocal free-jazz or something.

i wouldn't be deriding him if he didn't pull down brett manning and seth riggs on his site. i've not seen any of their courses but it just seems wrong to write crap about them publicly, more so singing the way he does.

anyway, those songs are good fun - I'm gonna go back to listening to them now apologies if my post offended any of his students here