THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Subconsciously learning to sing with RYV

Little tip I've been messing around with. I printed out myself a copy of RYV after finally figuring out how to print an e-book (i suck with computers) and put the audio files on cd's (separated sections) after numbering the audio files in the book so I'd know which track played the right file. Then it occurred to me last night, "what if I put the cd's in my cd player and just have it play the audio files while I'm sleeping"

Well when I woke up this morning I felt as if I had read the entire book all over again in my sleep. I'd recommend this to anyone who believes the unconscious mind can still take in information. One thing I've discovered is, there are no distractions when you sleep, so it may be the time when your subconscious is the most focused.

Re: Subconsciously learning to sing with RYV

Wow, that's crazy;) Cool idea:)

Just thought of this too. If you have windows media player, you can put them all in a playlist and have it loop the playlist, that way you don't have to go through the trouble of putting everything on CD.

Well you won't sleep as good because its proven any music or stuffs will prevent you from falling in a deep sleep. Probally because your processing the info.

This is very believeable because I watched the special on how amazing the Human Body is on Discovery called Pushing the Limits and if you do the exercizes right before bed, you will learn them better because your mind replays the information over and over so your brain then has the subconscious there to help the muscle memory.

I have heard also on the show, playing things during your sleep to remember them is a very good idea and it does help. So I will be doing this soon, good idea too... I never even thought of doing that.

I sleep with music on everynight. I always wake up refreshed, relaxed and ready to go. I actually can't sleep without music most of the time, and I always wake up tired if I don't.

I'm thoroughly against studies where things are "proven" about people. I say everyone is different. Even with the voice, sure screaming from the bottom of the throat with rasp in reinforced falsetto all of the time and speaking really raspy would destroy your voice within months. But Brian Johnson of AC/DC has now been doing that for nearly 30 years. There are no proven facts about humans, what works for one will kill the next person. You pretty much have to find what works for you. If you give this a try and don't feel like it does anything, thats fine. If it works for you, great.

I use this method too. I think it really helps. You can akso put on music that you want to learn, but it takes a few nights to really sing in.
Keep singing (opera)!!

Well I slept fine with music on for 4 years or something, then I stopped and woke up with twice as much energy as usual.

And I know not everything applies to everyone, like how some people drink coffee and they can't sing at all, then Rody Walker goes and smokes a pack of cigarettes and drinks a few beers then proceeds to sing perfectly all show.

Or how I for some reason never had the problem of the vocal break.

But things can still be applied to almost everyone.

"what if I put the cd's in my cd player and just have it play the audio files while I'm sleeping"

i can't say how that'd benefit my singing but what WOULD happen for sure is my girlfriend kicking me out of our house

seriously though, if you do try such a thing, i suppose how tired you feel when you wake up would reflect how analytical you are when you listen to music in general