THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Low notes on the falsetto slide

Hey, I'm having kind of an issue on the falsetto slide. I want to know if this is normal. My vocal break point is around E-F4 (E-F above middle C) So falsetto below those notes are a little weird to me in the first place, but today when I was trying them (first time trying to falsetto slide) I'd start at middle C and start sliding down and kept having either this vocal fry or this really odd flip that went down several notes at once. I tried doing it over and over again, slower and slower and slower, until eventually I just gave up and started going up the scale. Right around E and F this fry/flip/break stopped and the transion became smoother, it only got more smooth as I went higher. Now then, I thought this was because I was I got used to the trasition, but sure enough, when I got to the top of my range and went back to middle C to go down the scale, the flip/fry/break thing was back, and only got worse as I went down scale. I could only maintain falsetto down to about 3 notes below middle C, so I'm wondering: Is this normal? Will it get easier to make the transition over time or do I need a different starting pitch? And how low should someone with my break point should be able to go in falsetto, and will it get lower over time?

Re: Low notes on the falsetto slide

It's a lack of coordination. Keep practicing; keep your resonance focus very high and forward even when you go down.

Oiselle is right. You cannot slide all the way down in falsetto BUT even you keep the tone very tiny and clean and work at it, you'll eventually connected your low falsetto into your low full voice with a seemelsss transition;)

Day 2 went much better. I warmed up alot more than what I did on day one to see if that would help me smooth out the transition. Well I can't tell if that was what did it or if was just that after yesterday my vocal cords developed some muscle memory, but today the transition started getting smooth around D instead of E and F. So I figured at this rate i'll be doing middle C without the break being a problem and then maybe the down scale will start getting less rough, cause honestly, its still hard to do anything below middle C in falsetto at all, I have to almost over focus. I've also started taking licorice, marshmallow, and slippery elm lozenges in my water. The licorice and marshmallow come in capsule form, so I just pull the capsules apart and put the inside (which I guess would be powdered marshmallow and licorice root) in the water, and crush up 2 slippery elm lozenges, and then mix it up. For extra kick I add a couple of those emergen-c satchets, (total of 2000mg of Vitamin C and 400mg of potassium)

That last part is a little off topic, but I think its possible that could be a contributing factor in the voice improvement that seemed to happen almost overnight so I thought it needed a mention.

Just wanted to say that everything ended up working out quite well. When I started the falsetto slide on monday the highest I could go was about D5, and the lowest was about A#3, couldn't go any lower than that in falsetto. Now at the end of the week, I've worked my way up as high as a G5, and as low as a G3 before I couldn't smooth out the vocal break anymore. Tomorrow will be the start of me doing the transending tone, and if it keeps giving results like this, i'll be quite happy in a month or 2.

What really helped me was doing falsetto slides on lip bubbles. Just pick a comfortable note, start the lip bubble in your falsetto, and just let the voice gently slide down.