THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Throat tone on high notes

I had my first real session today doing the exercises and noticed that I am able to sing pretty friggin high in my natural voice. However, when I am on the higher notes my tone sounds almost muffled and like it is real deep... which sucks. lol I tried moving the placement of the resonance and it helped a little bit but overall still has that really deep voice tone on high notes. I am keeping my soft palette up like the yawn feeling and my throat feels relaxed. I have no pain in my throat at all and I was power pushing all of the notes and I was able to hold notes out for a very long time. (which was awesome!) I am hoping to fix this crappy tone on the high notes. Another thing I noticed is that on the High notes it is a smoother transition with the transcending tone from falsetto to natural... but on lower notes it is really choppy. Any reason for this?

Thanks,
ROBOT

Re: Throat tone on high notes

#1 it won't happen in a day;) Keep practicing and that tone will get better;)

#2 Yes T.T is easier on the high notes because the cords are tiner and the transition from false to full isn't as big. It is toughest around and right above the break area;)

Awesome, thank you for the reply and help on this. I was wondering last night after I stopped if I was perhaps pulling my chest tone too high... It didn't feel like strain. It just sounds like crap. I am going to pay special attention to making sure to develop some kind of head tone and learn to allow that to happen more when up there. Man, I have been singing from my throat all these years to sing the high harmony for my cover band. This power push stuff is so much easier. I did notice that on certain notes up high that I am hearing this crackling and distortion almost...it feels like it is coming from my soft palette region. I know this is bad but I have been smoking a bunch for the last 3 years could that be why there is a random overtone grit/breakup sound? I am going to do daily practice and I am a severely driven person when it comes to learning anything regarding music. I know that I am a complete newbie when it comes to vocal stuff so I am trying to make sure I don't do anything wrong. I am going to be at my drummers studio today and I will record some of my stuff on his condenser. I am using a 57 here.

I am happy to hear that the TT is easier up high because of a physical property. I was worried is had something to do with me using some sort of reinforced falsetto... which it did not feel like I was doing. Just making sure.

Thanks again!

Here is an update... I have been singing while pulling chest too much. I finally somehow fixed it and I am hitting things so much easier up high. I was at practice today singing journey and upper harmonies girls should be doing and it was so easy. It just felt amazing. I also have complete control over how much grit I add on low and high notes without straining. I can't thank you enough for this! I am hoping my body doesn't forget how to do this tomorrow lol. No more shit tone up high! YAY I don't seem to have any vocal break at all when doing sirens but I am going to keep doing them to make sure. I guess the next step if this learning does hold would be getting even higher. This is fuckin awesome!