THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
combining methods

Is it wise to combine methods such as RYV, Singing Success Thomas Appell all in one day? (of course if one is able vocally to do so much exercise)
THANKS!!

Re: combining methods

Right now, I'm using both singing success and RYV, and it's working great for me(I'm also a student of Rob Lunte's so I use his esercises too). In fact, I think they're really good together. There's some good information on singing success, but really the strong point is all the exercises whereas Jaime's book is packed with all the information you need, so if you apply Jaime's teaching while using Bretts exercises you'll get a lot more out of it.
On the other hand, I've been doing this for a while, and I'm only trying to fine tune my voice. I might be hesitant to reccommend such an approach to a beginner, as some of the information can be conflicting, and it might be better to just focus on one technique or approach for a while until you've got it down or reached a plateau, then try branching out.

Tim

Thank you Tim. By the way I'm not a beginner,so I'll guess try.
Thanks
Any other opinions?

I was using the old Jim Gillette Vocal Power exercises before I got RYV. Now I use them both together and it seems to work really well. The two methods seem to almost go hand in hand with each other!

I'm will be doing Vocal Power and Raise your Voice together. Will see how it works; my practice has been stopped of late due to laryngitis. What a way to start 2008, eh?

What I have noticed is that Jim's eees xrcises really open up resonance. Before I got sick, doing those for like 10 minutes made a difference. Remarkable.

Stan H.

Im doing exactly what Tim is doing, and its working great!! Both methods really reinforce each other..whatever SS misses, RYV delivers! I started off with just SS, but then found RYV surfing on the net and im glad I did because I found this awesome forum. I usually post on the SS forums..but I think its rlly awesome that Jamie actually replies regularly.

im using ryv in addition to vocal power. in fact in ryv 2 he recommends doing vocal power

Jim Gillette and Thomas Appell were my teachers. That's the basis of how I created my method. I use several of Jim's scales when I teach and think people should use them for full voice scales. Combine away;)

What about RYV and Thomas Appell?

I even use some more at same time.
Just not to get bored.
Singing Success,RYV,Can you Sing High C,Vocal Power (I don`t like the quality of the audio exercises), Sing your voice free,Robert Lunte`s..

Any time I vocalize I end up using things from the four voice teachers that I've had over the years, things from Jaime's book, things from a Roger Love book, bits from CVT, tips from Singing for Dummies, and other tidbits I've picked up from my fellow singers.

There is absolutely no limit to the amount of things you can mash together! The important thing is to figure out what works for your voice, and -why- it works.

Lets say Roger Love teaches that tone placement is suppose to be more forward like he writes, and RYV say it needs to be in the soft palate. So if you are using two methods they might go together.
What do you say Jamie??
Thanks!

I mean they might NOT go together.

I absolutely love Roger's books. Some coaches have you move it forward. I do that when I want a rounder sound. Bottom line is you are making too much out of it. Try putting it straight up in the palate, then try it more forward. What feels better to you. Maybe they feel equal but produce different tones. Just exercise and sing everyday. Keep a journal of the books you read and make notes about the things that ring true for you. That's what I did for years...and it turned into a book:)

JV

what would be better for an classical sound?

I personally prefer to have my resonance a little forward, BUT when you sing correctly you can also feel the resonance on your soft palate.

Just because you're focusing on letting the resonance be 'more' in one place doesn't mean you wont also feel it in another place.

Also consider that placing your resonance forward more gives you a slightly different sound, like Jaime says. Why limit yourself to one coloring? Learn to use your full instrument by playing with both sensations.

I tend to feel the resonance in the sinus area when i'm singing full phrases. If i'm sustaining a note (especially a high note), or doing a scream, I feel it in the soft palate.