THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
decibel

Is there any way to check how loud you sing in decibels?

Re: decibel

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103667&cp=&sr=1&origkw=decibel+meter&kw=decibel+meter&parentPage=search

That product will be innacurate. I could easily pick up a decibel meter from Radio shack and hit 135-140 decibels, anyone could. It has to be conducted under scientific supervision. The show I just did the other day only registered me at 104 decibels, but that wasn't accurate because there was a glass in front of my face and I was at exactly one meter from the equipment. It has to be perfect to be accurate;)

Operasinger,

Just curious, why do you want to messure your decibel when singing?

To prove to his neighbors that he's not in violation of the noise ordinance when he's practicing!

:-)

LOL... good one, Tim. you made me laugh!

Well than is there a way to know for sure how loud you're singing?

Yeah that was a good one Tim...

When my dog groans and leaves the room... it's loud.

Check with a local college who has a sound studio or television station or recording station. They should have the right equipment. Remember, you HAVE to be at 1 meter to be fairly accurate;)

Are the decibel meters that off? Because I guess want to see if I'm getting louder than before I dont really care what number.
Thanks!!

I assume that you want to sing opera hence your username

Even though it's important to be able to sing with a farely loud volume when singing opera! It's even more important that you master the "squillo" or "singer's formant" which enables you to cut through an entire symphony orchestra even when you sing with less volume

Yeah I agree with Martin. It is more about tonality and projection that sheer volume. If you want to see if you are getting louder then you could use any meter and mark down the number and keep trck. Just know that when it says, 130 decibels that it is NOT correct. Decibels don't gradually work up in increments as you'd think. 121 decebels is a LOT louder than just 1 decibel louder than 120. It's kinda weird how they explain it and I am not the expert; I just know what I was told by the Scientist from Meyer Sound.

what is squillo or singer's formant?

Jaime is correct, decibels come in all shapes and sizes!
A rough guide is that a 3db increase sounds twice as loud to the human ear ie: 105db sounds almost twice as loud as 102db.
If you just want to measure an increase in audible levels, use one of the freeware computer based recording utilities that have level-metering (eg: Audacity).
Just set the mic at the same distance, angle, position etc and you'll get an approximation of how you're doing.
Martin's advice is spot on, you're looking for squillo in an operatic voice.
Mossman, Squillo is the Italian word for "ring". It is used to indicate a resonant, trumpet-like ringing sound in the voice of opera singers. It's about resonance and Jaime's resonance techniques will help you with achieving this.
Cheers, Dave.

Just as an added note to clarify my post above;
Squillo and resonance are NOT the same thing, plenty of singers have resonance without squillo.
According to most opera-buffs, Squllo is that ringing quality of voice that distinguishes the great opera singers from the good.
I'm no opera-buff but I can hear it when it's there.
Cheers, Dave.

Jaime's "inhalation sensation" is actually one of the big producers of squillo :). Any excess breath at all will interfere with squillo.

Squillo is, as has been said, the true 'ring' or 'peal' of the voice. It gives it what people like to call the real coloring of the voice. Basically the idea is that your throat is so totally relaxed that the sound coming out is completely produced by the cords, and there are no muscles in the way changing the sound.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not some kind of huge opera purist. My favorite type of music is actually probably folk/celtic music, and most of the voices that sing that kind of music -definitely- don't use squillo!! ;)

Actually from a more technically view, the "squillo" or "singers formant" is about the overtone(s) that lies in the area between 2800 and 3400 HZ.

Studies show that there seems to be some relation to the narrowing of the ary-epiglottis and ringing voices. Or better known as "twang". Twanging apparently seems to enhance these frequencies

Interesting that you should mention those frequencies Martin. I've been recording for my various band projects for years now, and I remember that before I really learned how to sing well, my voice was kinda lifeless, and I used to boost the crap out of those frequencies to compensate. I also gravitated towards brighter mics. After learning better singing technique, I found that I don't have to boost those frequencies anymore, and I prefer using more neutral mics.

Tim

You can really tell when a singer does or doesn't have it when it comes to singing in an auditorium without microphones. Even if the singer has a small voice, the sound is incredibly present in the room, and it fills the place.

If they have a larger voice, but no squillo, then the sound is obviously a loud one, but the further away you get the less present it is.

Or, conversely, if they're singing pianissimo, the sound can still carry incredibly far.

Tim,

That's cool man, it also shows that everybody has the ability to acquire¨that special skill