THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clip of Me Doing TT

Is any of this mix or full voice? Thanks!

http://www.zshare.net/audio/6060283caf1b2a/

Re: Clip of Me Doing TT

Jake, first things first. WHY are you starting with an "Ooo"??? I specifically state to maintain an "A" as in "Play" and start it like "YAY" so that you eliminate breathy attack.

Now, you were still in falsetto...You started to transcend, but ha d alot of breathiness, then you cracked, then went back to a falsetto that was a bit reinforced. Stick to EXACTLY how I ststae to do this exercise if you wish to master it;)

JV

Jaime's right, yay is the easiest sound to transcend and bridge on. And don't skip over the y and try to do just the ay either. The yuh sound is like a handle for the voice to pull itself into the vowel on a pure sound. I would say that you are making it about 1/2 to 1/3 of the way to the full voice, but you're still in falsetto, and when you did flip into full voice, you dropped down an octave again. You need to stay in the same octave for this exercise! ;-)

I can tell you're getting impatient, and I remember exactly how that feels, but believe me when I say, that Jaime's exercises are all important and they all serve a purpose, and you will feel so amazing when you finally break through and start seeing results. Just stick with it and don't give up!

Good luck-

Tim

i sometimes do it on the aah sound. is that not cool?

If I recall correctly after you've mastered the excersises you can mess around with the vowels, so long as you have proper breath support. But Jaime would have to clarify on that, i'm new at this.

Yes...When you've MASTERED the basic vowel;) Then you can change up. If you have swithced to Yah Mossman, does this mean you can do them fairly well on YAY? Just curious;) I picked certain vowels to make sure you succeed:)

when i was experimenting with it it actually seemed that aah was easier for me. i dont know sometimes im backwards. when i do pullups its easier to do it with palms facing forwards for me rather than backwards like most other people. i also noticed that some of the higher pitches are easier. not sure if thats normal

oh and i do use the yay pretty much exclusively because i am but a learner...you are the master

Your speaking voice is a little nasal but closer to what your singing voice (not in falsetto) should sound like.

Approach your Ay note as if you were speaking it. Than move your focus up (as if your voice were floating somewhere between your eyes) while pinching your nose. When you can pinch your nose without the sound being altered you have the right placement. Than continue the Transcending Tone exercise keeping the voice focused in that same spot.