THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Feel the burn

Not to use a catchy heading to make light of the question, but back when I first started singing. I had this problem with feeling like a burn on my vocal cords. I guess kind of like an icy wind blowing on your face and it feels like is burns. I asked my voice teacher I had then, and he told me it was just the cords stretching. (But I think he just said that because he didn't know) But the problem went away, but tonight practicing with my band it came back. I checked my throat tension and I didn't feel like I had any, I checked my resonance and it felt strong. So I'm lost, and I turn to all yous for help and advise to fix it. Thanks

Re: Feel the burn

Could you be using to much air in an attempt to sing louder? Air will dry=out you vocal cords and eventually become irritate which could explain the burning sensation. You don't need a lot of air to project your voice. Use the inhaling sensation as explaine in RVY to minimise your air flow. Also get one of those VAM so you can hear yourself well when you practice over the band without forcing your voice.

I used to get a sensation like that quite often, back before I started voice training. For me, I think it was an irritation from too much pressure/airflow over the vocal cords. I still get it from time to time - usually if I don't get a full warm-up completed. One other possibility is the extremely dry air that we get during the winter months drying out your vocal mechanism.

You probably need to drink more water and not force it too much. Turn your volume up and turn your band down. "Let the mic do the work for you", Jimi Jamison.

I would often get it from singing in mixed/falsetto and growling.

John-That same thing would happen to me too. When I would sing with rasp; Tesla, AC/DC ,Cinderella, my voice would be shot. I have said it before and Jaime and some other people disagree, but if you are in pain and struggling, you should drop that song immediately. Figure out what your range is and concentrate on those songs. Possibly come back to them when you are feeling better or gain more vocal prowess. Drink plenty of water and don't force it. Not everyone can sing like those guys.

I've never felt any burn until 2 weeks ago. I sort of narrowed the causes down to my throat being super dry at night, smoking and a little over use.

I had been practicing, recording and playing shows for 2 weeks straight and meanwhile the air was super dry at night...the I started to feel the burn.

I just completely stopped smoking last week, I got a cool mist humidifier in my room now when I sleep...and I've been resting my voice at least 3 days a week...It feels a lot better!

Congrats on stopping to smoke and good luck!

Andy - It doesn't happen anymore, but thanks for the advice

Altered - Keep on butting out