THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
raise your voice for both female and male yeh?

if a woman was to read this book, what might apply or not apply to her? i mean will she be doing the exercises the same? same placement? same full voice and falsetto as men? cause for classical singing, i know that the women will sing in falsetto as the go up the scale. so yeh. RSVP

Re: raise your voice for both female and male yeh?

All rules apply to all singers. Do NOT tell them they will be singing everything in falsetto. ALL RULES APPLY TO BOTH SEXES! Only difference might be their starting point of reference.

Sorry, but female opera singers DO NOT sing in falsetto.

They use a full head-voice... otherwise they would never be able to sing with the power and force they do.

I know the difference, because I've heard teachers bring girls out of their falsettos and into their full-voices. The difference is dramatic in terms of coloring and sheer volume.

Now if you mean most typical 'choir' sopranos, then yes, they'll be using their falsetto... and sometimes women will use falsetto to sing very softly or just to blend better with other sopranos. But typically a classically trained soprano will sing with her head voice even at soft volumes.

I can attest that RYV works for females as well as it would for men and I'm sure other females on this board will back me up on this

As for falsetto, I've never really used it to the point that I didn't think I could sing falsetto cause I never liked breathy voices. So I tried to stay away as much as I could, unconsciously mostly using my head voice I guess. Now I can do a falsetto for effect but really I think it sounds weak. I prefer a soft head voice.

cause i was just watching sarah brightman's video on youtube singing time to say goodbye with my favorite singer andrea bocelli :), i thought that its falsetto she was singing in for all her high notes, or is it not?

Well falsetto means different things to people....

"cause i was just watching sarah brightman's video on youtube singing time to say goodbye with my favorite singer andrea bocelli :), i thought that its falsetto she was singing in for all her high notes, or is it not?"

could you post it here please?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sp0ccQVy1og

is that falsetto that sarah is singing in???

Falsetto can be placed on a scale of 1-10 falsetto being 1-3 mix 4-7 full 8-10. You got to remeber that she is singing classical and this is a certain approach. I can hear traces of falsetto but I would have to say that she is using a light head voice, that is typically associated with classical music, so if I were to place her on the scale, she'd be between 4-7 for the most part.

I've heard Sarah Brightman use a huge, resonating head-voice during a recording of the Andrew Lloyd Webber Requiem... so she's definitely got it in her to be much louder.

But I'd agree with Jaime on this one. It sounds like a light falsetto/head blend, a little more on the head side than the falsetto side.

uwedinho

At CVT they don't use any of the terms falsetto, headvoice etc. If you want to know what Sarah is doing you can email me at: nallonfisk@hotmail.com

sorry

ballonfisk@hotmail.com

The terms falsetto and headvoice have been used for hundreds of years. If you are using RAISE YOUR VOICE, then stick with those terms because I don't want you getting confused.

Jaime

You are right, that's why they have to much "bagage".

It means different things to people...

What is actually headvoice??

I don't see any baggage at all. Falsetto is falsetto and head voice is head voice. Still I know where you are coming from when it comes to those terms because so many people create more out of it than needed. To me falsetto is Prince and Full voice is Steve Perry. I tend to think of headvoice as the upper register whereas a lot of coaches call it the light sound which ends up confusing singers into thinking falsetto is headvoice.

When I said upper register, I meant as in a full voice tone on up above the typical break where the majority of resonance is felt in the head cavity

Well you just said that the terms are interpreted differently, that's my point about to much "bagage"

Actually the original meaning of headvoice is that it resonates in the head and the chestvoice resonates in the chest

Yep and that is the exact way I describe it in RYV. Chest voice = chest cavity. Head voice = head cavity. But I don't consider using the term falsetto and head voice as having too much baggage. I only agree that people make too much out of the terminology. But me personally, if two singers were singing a high song and one was singing in falsetto and one in full voice. I would use the terms full voice and falsetto. Head voice is just a partial term for full voice describing the upper register whereas chest voice would be a partial full voice term for lower register.

Hey I think I'm confused now

So you would say that Prince is using falsetto with a partial headvoice

And you said: "But I would have to say that she is using a light head voice, that is typically associated with classical".

Is that a "light" resonating headvoice?

Well, considering I've taught for 15 years and worked with a lot of pros, yes. You must have different ideas. She has that flute like tone. Prince is very breathy. If and when you read my 2nd edition, you'll see that the tonal quality of the voice can vary. from a light breathy falsetto and gradually increase in resonance and quality until you reach full voice. Gotta run now, I've got a television show to do today

what show??? be sure to tell us when it will air

Good luck with a television show, Jaime.

Stan H.

Martin, you failed to confuse me. Just curious, which planet you'd be from again? Your job in every thread is to confuse people, throw CVT terms...why? no life for you isn't it?

Just ignore him. :)

He doesn't fully read the posts that he criticizes, he's not trying to put things in terms helpful for people who are working out of RYV, and he only seems to want to argue.

So just ignore him.