THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
I know this is a stupid question

How long (more or less!) does it take to get to the high C from around e-f under the high C?
Thanks!!

Re: I know this is a stupid question

Everyone is diffent. Took me years! BUT I took what I learned and stremline dit into the system that is now RYV, so it could be much quiker for you:)

For me it took 10 months, just to get it, not to get it cool...
I'm working on some david phelp tune "gentle savior" to work it on my daily routine, plus James Lugo and RYV method.

Depends how you count. I took lesons in my late teens from one teacher and didn't make much progress in my range. after a few lessons, I continued to sing on my own, but not very seriously, then in my late 20's my band needed a singer, so I stepped in to fill the position, and since my voice wasn't that great, I sought out professional help, and ended up taking lessons from David Kyle(who's best known for teaching Geoff Tate). Even though we weren't focusing on expanding my range, within 2-3 months I was able to sing a whole octave and a half higher than before. Although it sounded kinda crappy at first, and years later, I'm still working on my tone, and smoothing things out. The point is with the right exercises and technique(Like in RYV), and perserverance, the new range will just fall into place almost magically. Don't stress on it too much, just know that it will come, and have fun!

I've been working on this for a little over two years now...I can sing through my range in full voice and it sounds o.k. ...not spectacular or anything. But it's coming. I have good periods and not so good periods.

I know that the thought of a few years is frightening when you first start out...I used to think to myself..."yeah maybe in 6 months I'll be where I want to be"...or "maybe this time next year I'll be ready to sing anything"...But it doesn't really work that way. It takes a while to master, it's all about micro improvements. You just gotta stay with it and stick to a strict routine and be relentless.

By the time you're ready to sing whatever and however you want, you'll have worked so hard, for so long, that it won't even be a surprise that you can sing that good. You just will...

Hi 260 (Anonymous Dude),
I posted this success story a while back but it's probably been buried under a ton of other messages since then! lol
Before I started using Jaime's RYV method I was able to struggle up to just above middle C in full voice, once I got to the E4 above there was a gaping "hole" where everything just went splat until I kicked into a breathy falsetto around G4. With 3 months of practice using Jaime’s Vocal Stress Release and exercise methods I’m now able to scream my way through to E5 without hurting or losing my voice.
Here’s a quick clip of how it sounded a few months ago, it's much stronger and dependable now; http://www.box.net/shared/4vl2j3r8cy
Good Luck on your journey, Dave

i actually dont think that was half bad

Thanks, I think... just to clarify my post; the "Long Way" clip is me hitting an E5 after the 3 first months of working on my voice with RYV... that's an extra octave on top (plus 5 semitones extra on the bottom) and I'm still working on expanding it and getting it more consistent. My E5 actually sounds somewhat better these days, the recording is a couple of months old.
Cheers, Dave.

Good job, I liked the grit;)

Thanks Jaime, That means a lot to me. Cheers, Dave.

Thank you all for the answers and especially to you Dave, nice voice!
Anybody here sing opera?

i started singing from april 2007, and when i first started with my teacher, my range was from middle c to the one above it, a dissapointing 1 octave. in 3 months i went up to the F below high c. after that i had to come to america(im from nepal)so didnt have a teacher and didnt practice much. i started again about 2 months ago by myself, and practised one exercise from Mark Baxters Rock and roll survival manual(not sure on the name)daily. I've been able to reach upto a high c since a week ago, although it sounds weak. i can sing confidently upto the A below high C, the B doesnt come as effortless as the A but doesnt sound too bad.
So, if you practice regularly and have a very positive outlook, i dont think it should take too long. Another thing that helps is when Im singing songs during practice, i make a conscious effort to not think about the notes in the song. I focus on the emotion and imagery as much as possible, and i find myself singing high notes without even realizing it.