THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Clicking Jaw

Ever since I can remember I've had a clicking jaw on my left side. I have to dislocate it in order to open my mouth wide.

I'm sure this is affecting my singing and speaking.

What can I do?

Re: Clicking Jaw

I've always been that way too. My best friend says I have a neanderthal jaw. I think I might google it.

hay chris, so if you want to open your mouth completely wide, it would take you two steps?? cause thats my case...its because i clinch when i sleep at night...and i can't do anything about it to fix it. so i just do jaime's stress release everytime before i sing or whenever my hands are free. and it does help.

VSR has exercises for releasing that tension. My jaws will click sometimes when they are tense. I can even crack them like fingers;)

Sounds like TMJ. Try not to clench your teeth, and find out from a dentist if you are doing it at night without realizing it.

I used to have a clicking jaw on the left side for many years too, every time i chewed hard food it would click. Grinding teeth at night could be leading to the problem, which i did as well. So i would recommend talking to a dentist about it and if you are getting a brux plate(like a retainer that covers your teeth to protect from grinding). And also maybe check out a chiropractor. I have a lot of back problems so i go quiet often to one and i told him about my jaw and he adjusted it a couple times and now it no longer cracks at all. I think a lot of the problem with a cracking jaw is because it is simply out of alignment. So maybe check into that if it becomes a big problem.

It doesn't work for everyone, BUT I had a lot of trouble with tension in my jaw and just entire body when I slept at night, and the only thing that ever helped me was doing relaxation exercises before falling asleep.

Basically I would just try to sense every part of my body, and tense, then release it and feel it 'sinking' into the bed. It took me about maybe... ten minutes to do my entire body, and the more I relaxed the sooner I fell asleep. Now I typically only get started on it before I fall asleep, because my body's gotten so used to relaxing quickly when I'm trying to sleep.

The results have been me waking up feeling much less stiff and sore. I also get less sore throats, and my allergies don't bother me as much as they used to.

I use to have a jaw click and teeth grinding when I was sweating out a tweaking night.

hmm...in order to open my mouth completely, I need to go through a "click" on both sides...but I always thought this was normal!