THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
What happened to the voice of this Russian Metal Singer?

Hey guys. I've always wondered could smoking cause such a dramatic change in a singers voice?

This is the vocalist of a Russian band Aria live in early 90s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEJCMgrjUYQ&mode=related&search=

Here is the link to the studio version of the song. 1991 album:
http://www.box.net/shared/nfmhx61fvq

And here is the link to the 2005 live version of the song:
http://www.box.net/shared/bg6osdn9uc

Guys what could've caused such a dramatic difference? Did his technique go wrong. Not only can't he hit those really high notes anymore; the quality of his voice is terrible right now. A metaphor of a knife gone blunt comes to mind when describing his voice.

I know he is a smoker and has been for a long time. But could smoking really do so much damage to one's voice? If it can, I'll never take a cigarette in my mouth ever again. So far I've smoked only 2 in my lifetime; if that can happen to my voice from smoking there will not be a 3rd cigarette for me.

Stan H.

Re: What happened to the voice of this Russian Metal Singer?

im sure its a number of things but you can add that to your list of reasons why not to smoke along with cancer, smelly breath and decreased lung capacity

ya know if you saved the amount of money used to smoke a pack a day at the end of the year you could buy a boat?

Here in Canada a pack of cigarettes costs like $13-15. Insane, I know. That's the government's way of fighting smoking. 80% of that sum is tax that goes to the government. One of the major reasons many of my relatives stopped smoking is due to such a high cost. One can save like 5k a year by not smoking.

Same thing has happened to Don Dokken. His voice is rarely clean anymore and hes left with next to no range most of the time. Watching videos of him on YouTube from the recent tour is depressing. Geoff Tate, Rob Halford, and many other singers have all lost a lot of ability due to smoking, although I still think both of them are better than most other singers out there.