THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sound clip of my vocal slide

http://media.putfile.com/Vocal-slide

Hopefully I'm doing it right! I taped my self starting on a low note, sliding up to the highest and coming back down. Not my best take ever, but gives a pretty good idea of what I am doing. Please let me know if I am going into falsetto, doing it right, or just anything.

Furthermore, I talk about how I can't say words when I sing that high. Is this because I am doing it wrong, or just that I need to work on things? It feels very strange when attempting to sing songs that high. Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

-Allen

Re: Sound clip of my vocal slide

Hey Allen!

Okay, first off, you do NOT sound like a 'low' voice to me . I'm a high baritone, and it sounded like you were already struggling on the low notes when I'm still on pretty solid territory!

Maybe my ears were fooling me. You do have a lovely speaking and singing voice, but I don't think you're a low voice.

As for the siren, it sounded good to me! I think you may still have some tension in there, but it sounds like you've got the mechanics down pretty well.

Just really, really focus on the support. Worry less, now, about your top notes and more about supporting properly throughout your entire range. Remember: You have those notes, and you know how to get to them now. All you need to do is focus on the support more and they'll become more intense sounding and less difficult to access repeatedly.

As for pronouncing words that high, have you ever listened to a soprano? You're not alone at all when it comes to having difficulty pronouncing up there... The free-er your voice is, the more ability you'll have to annunciate in the upper registers, BUT keep in mind that your ability will always be less as you ascend... listen to Jaime scream out some of his top notes on the vocal clips--you can't really make out too much of what he's saying, and he's quite a master at the upper register .

Good luck! Sounds like you're on the right track.

Yeah, I'm starting to realize I'm holding back a lot. I'm wondering too much what people are thinking and it just doesn't work out. Just gotta let go of it all and sing!

Im showing a lot of progress and I can hold phrases now! So I'll keep working on it.

Thanks!

Allen

Actually that was VERY good!

I don't hear any tension! (actually it's only YOU who knows how it feels), you can't really "hear" a tension And if it feels good....it IS good!

As to the pronunciation in the high part of the voice it happens to everyone - it's called "vowel-equalization"....it all sounds the same up there

You're on the right track! You went into Full Head Voice without breaking. The only problem I hear is that the sound got very thin and pinched towards the top...I have the same problem though, so I can't really give you any advice on how to fix that! But as far as I've heard, the "bullfrog" exercise trains the muscles involved in maintaining an open throat, so I'm trying to do that now.

The "can't speak words really high" problem can be solved by simply relaxing the muscles that are inhibiting you. I can't tell for sure, but you might be locking your jaw in place or tensing your face. Always check for tension in the mirror!

The "can't start on a high note" problem is a psychological thing. You probably associate your Head range with the Siren exercise, so it's difficult to access that range without using the Siren. But I'm sure you can! Just stand up, find the tenor B on a guitar or whatever, and just sing the word "Saaaaaay!" on that note in Full Voice. Don't think about how high the note is. Just imagine that you can sing it effortlessly, and you will be able to do it.

Great slide! I think you need to mix a little more on your bottom note and when you slide up, make sure your upper jaw doesn't slide backward. That prevent the vocal cords to reach their full potential and the sound to resonate way high up in your head.

Push down your chin with one hand as you ascend and let the back of your lower jaw initiate the tilting motion. This is a little complicated to describe... You shouldn't see your mouth open wide sideways or like when you smile but instead the mouth opens from bottom to top. I hope I'm making sense

I was watching Celine Dion perform Alone and you can really see how her mouth opens wide without her smiling too much. Her cheeks stay relaxed and forward. They don't slide back and that's because her jaw opens properly.

Watch Celine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mekBOtCMCos

Regarding your 2nd question; it's a matter of vowel modification but also coordination especially if you have a tendency of singing the notes from below.

Practice octave scales. Ex: c4/c5, d4/c5, e4/e5, etc... without sliding between each octave. Start slow it's hard to be accurate the first couple times. Use a piano to stay on pitch.