THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Reinforced falsetto/Headvoice issue

You've probably talked this issue through in this forum, byt I'd be nice if some could give some points and views.

Here's an old clip I send to Jaime --> http://www.mikseri.net/artists/blasa.99814.php

You can listen to it by pressing "kuuntele"

What I thought there was that the first sound I produced is reinforced falsetto and the others (besides the low basic singing) are somewhat belted chest/head in some cases. But Jaime said that only the low notes were full voice and everything else is reinforced falsetto. Now I'm so confused. Like I haven't found my headvoice at all. To me it sounds like I'm mostly belting my chest to get that streched annoying tone to the upper notes. Now I just don't have a clue.

Nevermind the "stand up n' shout thing" that's just me trying to do that Graham Bonnet thing.
Kolly

O.k I found another clip of me singing a part from Deep Purples - Burn with a clear voice (Forgive me coverdale) Is that Reinforced falsetto? To me that sound kinda streched and bit chesty? Anyways I hate that sound, I can't understand how it can sound so belted even when I'm doing it relaxed.

Does this reinforced falsetto become fullvoice in time when you strenghten it? I can't see the difference between headvoice and the sound I make in those clips what Jaime says is reinforced falsetto.

Re: Reinforced falsetto/Headvoice issue

To Lee Muria

You said: to Martin H

I dont really care much for the definition of belting as i dont really use the term, but in the example i was using, i was referring to pulling chest.
I used to pull chest up to a C5 and then flip into what i though was head voice straight after that, but infact was just reinforced falsetto...
Now i start blending/zipping my voice from a D or E4 and then i can get up to about a E5 with mostly head voice, and then i start blending my voice with my reinforced falsetto.

I think I got the same problem you had, I'm pulling chest and Jaime said that what I thought was my headvoice was infact reinforced falsetto. How did you overcome this? How can you make/see/hear the difference between Reinforced, headvoice and belted cheast?

Hi Kolly,
I'm guessing that the high notes are all reinforced falsetto but with a raised larynx. Have you checked in the mirror as to what's happening with the larynx?
If you can keep the larynx more neutral it'll probably take on darker tone but I'd suggest that you just do whatever works for you. You say there's no strain so just keep on working with it, it'll come.
Cheers, Dave.

I've been recently paying some attention to my larynx, sometimes I feel it moves pretty much, but sometimes it doesn't, it's never an inch up or anything, maybe 1-1.5 centimeters sometimes, it's kinda hard to control it, I once tried with a low larynx and I barely could make any kinda sound. Something wrong with my technique, I've been singing like this for few years now and I can't believe that I haven't found what you call a headvoice in fullvoice. Well gotta keep on chooglin'

The first time:

Oh my shitty bisquits, I had my first gig yesterday and I can't believe the whole situation, I have to say that the whole situation in front of an audience is propably the most confusing place you can be in.
Yeah I hit the notes and people danced and clapped their hands, but fuck was that an out of body experience, I didn't know who I was and what was happening and I couldn't smile no matter what. It is so horrible, I can't understand how some people can be in front of a crowd for living, people staring and measuring you while picking their nose and shaking their ass.
I love top sing, but man do I hate performing and suck in it. In front of an audience you feel like the last thing you want to show is yourself and everybodys waiting to fuck you, spit on you, scream, laugh or clap their hands to you.

I didn't feel good at all, all these years I've been wondering what it would be like, now I know. Hope it is/was something different for you guys.

Hey Kolly,
I wrote a post on this forum a while back on how to overcome stagefright. It involves karaeoke. Read it and it might help you out.

Best of Luck,

Ron

hey Kolly, sorry its taken so long for me to reply, ive been a bit busy lately.
First thing i did to overcome that problem was to find a classical trained teacher. It costs alot i know, but its really hard to explain a feeling to someone in writing.
To save me writing it all here, just add me on messenger or something and we can chat about it.
Heres my addy: symposium_of_sickness@hotmail.com
Talk to you later
Lee

Hey Kolly,

I noticed that you wrote that when you tried to lower your larynx and sing, nothing came out. This reminds me of a bad habit I use to find myself doing...SINGING HIGH NOTES WITHOUT PROPER SUPPORT. Anyone can sing high notes and clench up their throat and raise they're larynx. Now dont get me wrong, your larynx does raise a bit...if it didn't, your high notes sound totally operatic. BUT you should be able to pull it down at any given time and sound the note.

I used to think that i couldn't maintain the lowered larynx ascending all the way up into headvoice...but you can. The secret is having your lower abs locked down and do the power push. Now just to be clear, this sensation isn't something you just read and all of a sudden you're singing this way, with total proper support. It takes a little while to master. I didnt really truly understand it till like 6 months ago. Until my teacher said that I should be hitting those notes above E4 with more power and authority. The only way to do that was to hold the power push on all notes above E4. I even use the power push in falsetto to smoothly move through my break area.

I think altered is absolutely right. You are not using reinforced falsetto in those clips. It's just a non-supported, held back version of full voice. What you need to do is RELAX. You must open the back of your throat! Also, focus on expanding your ribcage and creating a BIG sound.