THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
HELP, something really screwed up is goign on ! :S

Hi, I have not been sining much lately, but my voice is very groggy from C3 to e2 ( a note which I've NEVER been able to do before, and I do not care about having it but it now is there and sounds VERY bad like a vocal fry with tone)... My voice has lost a LOT of ring :S.... plus I've been having sinus issues all of these days .... HEEEEEELP!!!!!!! :'(

Re: HELP, something really screwed up is goign on ! :S

I'm afraid this isn't much to go on, bro. It sounds like the sinus problem MIGHT be the cause, but there are a blue million things that could make your voice groggy. If there's anything more specific you can give me, I'll be glad to help.

Xavier,

I too think it could very well be the sinus thing. I know this is gross to imagine, but if you're having post-nasal drip (and a lot of times this happens while you sleep) the mucus from your sinuses could be basically coating your chords with an extra layer of slime. I'm not sure if I'm right about this, but it seems only logical...when your chords have that extra "weight" on them, they vibrate a bit slower, thereby dropping the pitch.

This rationale matches with my personal experiences from whenever I have had really phlegmy chords, whether from actually being sick, or just waking up after spending hours in a smoky bar, I notice I can clearly sing notes lower than I normally can.

I would say hit what ever regimen you normally undertake to combat phlegm. For me it's lots of water to help thin the mucus so it isn't quite as stubbornly stuck to the chords. Then lots of low end humming and mist inhaling.

Well... whatever it was... after 2 nights of absolutely no sleeping, and 3 days of continiously shouting (My class has been working on a presentation for school... it actually came out pretty well)... Whatever was happening got to its climax today xD so I'm going for vocal rest and some steaming... you know, with chamomille and stuff...

How much do you think is appropiate (I've been hoarse like for 5 days)?

Melissa Cross would recommend that you rest your voice for 5 days. I know that this isn't possible for a lot of people, so I'm going to simply say...the more rest the better.

In my opinion it really sounds like you need to rest your voice, also do the vocal stress release stretches, take a few showers, drink some nice warm herbal teas. Also let your body rest a bit you seem stressed out, try and relax your mind. Just remember this isn't permanent and you will be back to where you were before this happened and continuing to get even better.

I wouldn't sing at all, not even to radio or humming. I would keep talking to a minimum for a few days, trust me you'll be thankful once you go to sing again.

Whoah xD I tried singing some Polico and Ozzy... it sucked hahahah !!! I think I'll give it a rest for some two days more... the thing is I've been following all of your tips and at least I'm not hoarse anymore :P... well maybe a liiiiiiittle hoarse on the low notes

thx !

Throat Coat Tea helps heal a shot voice.