THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
tones don't match right

So Jaime, I've been working with your method awhile now, and I have gotten a pretty powerful head voice going on. I can do the whole David Phelps thing fairly well now (where he just sounds like a ballsy belter) WAY up top in my head voice by "lowering my center of resonance" as you say, but I cannot maintain that as i descend, and unless i raise it a bit, I cannot smoothy avoid the break. In other words, I got it down low and I got it high, they both sound like they are coming from me and they both sound pretty good, but I can't sing in the middle like, at all.

It sucks, because i'm now very limited in what i can sing/write, because there's a few notes in the middle of my voice that I cannot sing on or around at all. (the ones around middle C naturally - my break)

Jaime!, is there a better way to match these tones? I can't go any less balsy on top, or it sounds whimpy as hell.

I'm in the studio right now, and I can't help but feel like I've wasted all this time and I might as well just go back to shredding my throat belting.

:[

Please...help me!

Re: tones don't match right

You're probably not mixing the resonances enough between your chest voice and your head voice. I've use that analogy before and some found it helpful: focus the vibrations right in your face around your eyes, nose and cheeks. Than imagine that the sound of your voice is making a ping-pong ball bouncing back and forth between your forehead and the back of your throat just by your ears. Hopefully that can help you connect your lower and upper register. Good luck!

I feel your pain...It's one hell of an area to master. I have found that the only way to get good at this area is lay off on the pressure/volume and vocalize like crazy on it.

There's this little routine I've got going these days...I'll do all the RYV exercises on the internet (audio samples)...Then I'll just vocalize over and over on vowel stuff like: Yah yah's or eee's.
But even if the scale is like an octave and a half or 2 octaves...I'll keep repeating G4 to F5 over and over. When I get to the top I go down and octave and keep working that area.

Its discouraging at first...all you wanna do is sing with power and that area just causes problems...The key is to practice quiet so you can fully resonate on those notes...After you have the resonant notes, you can start adding more power like on your low notes and your high notes...

first of all, you have to always, no matter what remember to relax. pushing and attempting to sing loud in weak areas of your voice is going to add extra musculature that you dont need to achieve the tone you are going for. its kind of like golf... or even baseball, if you try to kill the ball for an extra long drive, or to hit a home run, your going to mess up, no matter how much you've practiced, but if you build up strength and coordination, you will be able to do these with ease and will SOUND or APPEAR [in the case of the sports references] like they are difficult, but they only appear that way because of the difficulty everyone has in achieving them.

so.. it is difficult to master that area, most difficult in fact. but be patient and 'festina lente' or 'hasten slowly' and keep working, it may still take several months to build enough strenth in the area you desire.