THE VOICE CONNECTION
SOUND OFF

Welcome to The Voice Connection Sound Off; a forum for users of books like Raise Your Voice, Melody to Madness, The Ultimate Breathing Workout, and Unleash Your Creative Mindset, as well as a place for Vendera Vocal Academy members to interact.

This message board was created so that singers could come together and "sound off" to help support each other during vocal development and the creative process of unleashing the creative spark that occurs when writing and producing music. Currently, myself and vocal coaches Ben Valen, Ray West, and Ryan Wall are here to respond periodicially to your questions, with new vocal coaches coming soon. But, feel free to help each other too:)

This board is here for you to ask questions about my and my fellow coach's books, videos, and MP3 programs, as well as offer others help with our vocal techniques. You may also post videos of yourself and your band to share your music and ask for critiques.

Please refrain from negative comments, profanities, spamming, and inappropriate criticisms of vocal methodologies, vocal coaches, and singers. All negative posts will be deleted and subject to banning without question. I will not respond to negative posts, because, as Mark Twain once said, “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” With that said, positive criticism is welcome because that is how you'll grow as a singer during the training process.

The Voice Connection - Sound Off
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Falsetto tone question...

My question pertains to what tone should you be aiming for, that aligns best with proper technique when you're vocalizing at a medium volume - like a 5 on 10 let's say.

I notice that when I'm singing in chest register at this volume, and then switch to falsetto, and If Im aiming for the same tonal quality as chestvoice, the volume drops a little bit. In order to maintain a chest-like tone I need to push a tiny bit more.

(1. I'm assuming that this is correct and I'm not doing something wrong -If I am please tell me - 2. I'm assuming this is why one needs to use the power push to maintain that full voice tonal quality when singing in full voice.

The question really is this: Should I make up for the slight volume discrepency by pushing a little extra while maintaining the chest register similar tone?

-or-

Should I push the same amount of air and change the tone of the falsetto to sort of like a reinforced type tone. Like very resonant tone, similar to that of the "eeee" exercise?

Re: Falsetto tone question...

My personal recommendation would be to use the "eeee" exercise as your template. The entire point of it IS to teach you how to strengthen your falsetto, and I definitely don't want to tell you to "push harder". If you need to add just a little more pressure, that's one thing, but DO NOT push to the point where it's causing you vocal fatigue. Also, if guaged properly, you shouldn't need a ton of air to get the desired tone, even with falsetto, and you definitely don't wanna run out of breath before the note or song passage is over.

Secondly, I think the "type" of falsetto is the real difference-maker in how you should utilize a certain amount of pressure. If you're going for a light, almost feminine sound, you shouldn't need much pressure at all. But if you're trying to sing...let's say "Kiss" by Prince, and you're aiming for those high notes at the end of the song, you might wanna give the Power Push an extra inch, but make sure the Push is in sync with your vocal cords. In other words, don't allow your vocal cords to exert more force than the Push is willing to give you.

I hope something helpful was buried in there somewhere.